High End Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mvande21

I am getting ready for the busy fall craft shows again. One of the first pens on the workbench is the statesmen. I have two fountain ones already turned out of trustone. I now have the rollerball versions of those. I was wondering what you guys are using for some blanks to turn those from. I was looking at doing something from the exotic blanks website or the alligator jaw from Arizona silhouette. I am leaning towards doing something from one of the "blank artists" from exotic since most if not all are members on here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

There are so many options to choose from. It really depends on what you are looking for and what your market might be interested in. Good Luck!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Variety is a great way to be certain you will appeal to as many prospective customers as possible.

Every artist presents a different looking final pen---make sure to incorporate as many as you can afford. Chiyogami, Rotacrylic, Fantastic Feathers, "worthless wood"---NONE of these look anything like the others--once you have caught your prospect's eye, a conversation can be opened. Then, you are on your way to a sale.

Also be certain to use the best refills or inks you can find. People BUY a writing instrument so that they can write----make this a truly rare writing pleasure. 9000 for the Parker, a good ink cartridge for your fountains and a rollerball refill you have chosen as the "best". You have to believe in it to sell it.

Good luck and sell a bunch!!!!!

I did,
Ed

SteveG

My approach to sales is different from many here at IAP. My venue is somewhat different also, in that I do a once per week display, 4 hours, Marriott resort in Hawaii. So I am a surprise to most prospective customers, except the growing group of return buyers who come to Kauai periodically. With that as background, my sales model is to put a max of 50 pens out for display, and many if not most have a "story" to go with (example: vintage Cebloplast or Bakelite, 5K year old Bog Oak, Unique Niihau shell embed, Damascus steel, Hawaiian petroglyph engrave, crazy-special burls, etc) Every pen has a fairly high to high-end blank. My sales come from finding the interest area, and going with the "story". So for you, a high end blank (that works for you) is likely to be one with a story attached, and one that fits with the clientele. Maybe my experience will give you ideas to define the hi-ender you will want.

Top Bottom