Hickory Bowls From Scraps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

This is going to be a work in progress.

A local cabinet shop was making a set of Hickory kitchen cabinets . I had never worked with Hickory and knowing it was very hard and used for axe handles and such I wanted o give it a try so I asked for some of his scraps and he gave me these pieces he couldn't use yesterday . Many of the strips were less than a inch wide by 3/4" thick .
I sawed them into pieces that I figured would give me the least waste and jointed them and glued them up into bowl blanks to turn on my Ringmaster lathe.
Here is what they looked like when I brought them home . Took the picture in bright sunlight and it even showed my shadow while doing so . . . lol , , ,

They are all completely Hickory except the large one where I added some walnut strips.
Here is what they looked like after I glued the strips into flat square boards and then cut them round and drilled a half inch hole in them all ready to mount on the RM and cut out the rings. Out of those scraps I got six bowl blanks measuring two at 8" diameter and one 10" , one 7" , one 9" and one 5" . I actually cut the rings for the 5" one and they are shown dry stacked .

Got all the rings cut out of three blanks already and glued up and in the ring press. Will follow up with a few more pictures as I progress.
The guy that gave me the scraps will be getting one of these bowls when finished.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

The wood shop puts any bowls on display ... it is going to get you some business. And if he works it right, it could be a great thing for the both of you.

Great looking bowls........I like the one in the upper right corner the best. Those dark rings set it off beautifully.

W.Y.

The wood shop puts any bowls on display ... it is going to get you some business. And if he works it right, it could be a great thing for the both of you.

Great looking bowls........I like the one in the upper right corner the best. Those dark rings set it off beautifully.

What is the wood shop you refer to ?

sbell111

What is the wood shop you refer to ?

The local cabinet shop from which you obtained the wood.

lyonsacc

William,

Do you do any additional sanding after you apply the sanding sealer? I have only used sanding sealer a couple of times and haven't figured out yet what works best.

Really like the bowls.

Dave

philb

They look great!

Are they all glued up with Tightbond? Ever had any issues with the strips or rings seperating or the glue joints sinking?
Only as another brand not Titebond I have used had this issue?

Cherrs

Fishinbo

They all look great of different sizes. They have cool patterns on wood and like most the one with the walnut. It has a very nice color contrast. Great job!

W.Y.

William,

Do you do any additional sanding after you apply the sanding sealer? I have only used sanding sealer a couple of times and haven't figured out yet what works best.

Really like the bowls.

Dave

I use de-waxed shellac as a sanding sealer . Within and hour it is ready to sand with 320 grit paper and the sanding dust is as fine as talcum powder leaving a smooth surface for the lacquer .
No sanding required between coats of lacquer when using my HVLP conversion gun . The lacquer dries fast so it is only 15 to 20 minutes between coats .

W.Y.

They look great!

Are they all glued up with Tightbond? Ever had any issues with the strips or rings seperating or the glue joints sinking?
Only as another brand not Titebond I have used had this issue?

Cherrs

No problem at all when using Titebond. I usually use Titebond 111 because it has a little more open time but couldn't get it locally this time so settled for Titebond 11 . It cost more than other brands but is worth it .
Titebond 11 is water resistant and Titebond 111 is waterproof so no problem if people want to use the bowls momentarily for liquids although most of these type of bowls are recommended for dry use like candy and peanuts etc.

Top Bottom