Hi from Nova Scotia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Greetings All.

I decided about 2 weeks ago to give this pen turning 'thing' a go. I had bought my wife a lathe a couple of years ago as she expressed an interest. Even got her an into to turning class at the Lee Valley store in Halifax. Alas she didn't do much with it :frown: and the lathe was taking up a lot of room in my basement shop. A friend of mine is a coast guard chopper pilot and was going to be deployed aboard an icebreaker in the Canadian High Arctic for 2 months. He was looking for something to keep himself occupied aboard ship and saw a Pen Turning kit on sale at Busy Bee Tools. Mentioning it to me I said I was thinking about teaching myself wood turning and this looked like a good way to get started.

Well here I am 2 weeks and about 50 slim lines later:tongue: and am hopelessly addicted....hah...some friend :biggrin:
Hope to learn lots while I'm here.

Cheers,
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Welcome aboard Mark!!! Like Derek said, be sure to check out everything going on for the month of February! Tons of prizes to be given away also!

enablers...love it:biggrin:

Will have some pix up soon as my wife finds the upload cable for her camera:cool:

Sheesh and I thought the airline business was 'addictive':rolleyes:

Thanks for the welcome :)

ctubbs

Welcome Mark, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Have a look at the series of videos ed4copies has just posted showing how to complete a pen from drill to finish.

Charles

cwolfs69

welcome to the vortex. you will find nothing more rewarding then the, "boy i nailed this one" feeling when it comes out right.

scotian12

Welcome Mark from your neighbour here in Halifax. There is lots of help available here from the members of IAP. If you need more hands on help look for the pen turning seminars at Lee Valley, drop in and visit with the members at Nova Woodturners Guild in Halifax. Visit our Guilds woodturning competition at Lee Valley next week to see some beautiful pens and wooden bowls. Drop in next Saturday afternoon at Lee Valley and meet our members at the competition awards program and pick up a membership form.Last month our Guild voted to become a Chapter of he AAW so there will be lots going on there in the next year. Enjoy your pen turning.

Darrell I was in Lee Valley on Thursday past. Didn't realize Michael Hosaluk was giving a seminar starting 20min after I got there. So I promtly plunked down my sheckels and listened & watched in awe for the next 7 hrs :)

Top Bottom