Hi From Chris Bowers In Chalford Hill England

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi everyone

I am 36 years old which is considered young blood in the English turning scene! I was busy being a retail manager until the financial crash made me redundant twice and I went back to college to learn carpentry and joinery. After gaining a distinction grade for both theory and practical I looked at what was available for me. I found regimented souless joinery shops and low paid site work to be the norm. Unable to release my creativity under such conditions I taught myself to turn whilst working in low paid retail and factory jobs. I am a self taught wood turner who turns everyday. My favourite tool to use is a skew and my favourite wood to turn is Cherry (at the moment). I make maybe a couple of thousand blanks every year which I use and sell on ebay and via the admin email address on my website. I am a skilled bandsaw operator who is constantly amazed at the versatility of the machine. Once I have sliced the wood with my chainsaw into 6" sections to pass through my Dewalt bandsaw every other part of the cutting operation is done on this machine although I have recently started squaring the ends with a chop saw.

I feel excited about having joined the IAP. I love turning wood and especially making beautiful pens. I put my soul and creativity into every pen I make. Pens are special and should make the end user feel special every time they pick it up to use it. I have recently set up a small business as I wish to turn to make a living. My website is very new and I am still working on it. It is called heartwoodturning.co.uk. I'd love you to have a quick look so you can view some of my work. I will try to be as useful to the IAP as possible by providing advice and help on the forums.

Kind regards

Chris Bowers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hi Chris, welcome from Texas.

There's nothing better than making a living by doing something that you love. Best wishes in your woodturning adventures.

I'm an engineer & pecan farmer - those are my primary vocations which I dearly love. Woodturning is my main hobby, but I only get to spend about 4 hours or so in the shop each week. Right now I'm working on family Christmas presents (and my PITH partner's pen).

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Chris, welcome to the IAP.

Contrary to Isak's ( Falcon ) cheer for the Bokke in another thread....:mad:....the Welsh Dragons will sort them out....:biggrin:

Y'know.....I really hate to mention this, esp on this forum, but aren't our Yankie brothers the Olympic Rugby Champions? :eek:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP Chris!

I hope you start posting pictures of your work!

Me... Tonight I was working on cooking dinner for my wife; and 20 yr old daughter who is home from University for 3 days. Very simple comfort food!

And... I am working on casting some pen blanks in alumilite. I did this 2 yrs ago, but need to get back to it! :beat-up:!

Be well, Mark

Thankyou so much for the massive welcome guys. It means a lot to me. I will post some pics when I work out how. I'll look into it today. I have a Black Walnut board framed with Imbuia which I made to take photo's on which I waxed. It got splashed with water and has nasty white spots on it now. I'll strip it back and rewax it over the next few days so I can take some quality photo's for you all. I do have a hoard of old ones I can try to get on. In the meantime there are some cool photo's on my website.

Chromey

Welcome from Florida!! I lived in Silverstone for a while, please send some Hook Norton ale, lol

Top Bottom