Hi folks from Australia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dad1957

I am new to turning and making pens ect. One question I am having trouble getting a good (gloss) finish using CA glue. The finish is Matt and hard. Any thoughts would be appericated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas

I will let others answer your CA question as I rarely use it. I mostly use a friction polish finish on wood. Depending on the type of wood & effect that I want, sometimes I will use the Hut carnauba wax bars or Craft Coat & occasionally even CA. I'm still working on my techniques for each method.

magpens

G'day from Canada !! ... What part of Australia are you in ? I lived in SA for many years.

Re: CA application. I use a blue paper shop towel. Cut into thirds, then fold into strips about 2 cm wide. Put 3 or 4 drops of thin or medium CA on one end of the strip and rub it back and forth along the bottom of the *slowly* turning blank. Use about 3 blasts of an aerosol accelerator. Wait a few seconds and then repeat. This time put the 3 drops of CA a little ways from the previous drops. About 10 applications covering the blank should do. After waiting a couple of minutes, start sanding *lengthwise*. I use 180 or 240 grit wet and dry. Sand smooth until there are no shiny spots. Continue sanding, with higher grits, until you get to 2000. Then polish with a liquid car cut polish. Repeat with a good plastic polish. Should be looking good by now. Good luck.

Last edited:

JimB

Welcome from western New York State, USA.

I have found sometimes the first few coats have a matt finish and then when I get to around coat 6 it gets glossy. I use medium ca and BLO.

BJohn

Welcome aboard from Arkansas

You will find many techniques for using Ca. I believe this a decent tutorial in the library, also so good videos on you tube.

Check them out then practice till you find what works for you.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome from Ohio!

You have a bunch of good suggestions of the CA finish, so I won't add another. The process Mal uses is closest to mine!

Have FUN!

Dad1957

Thanks folks I live in a little town of Malling in Queensland about 3 hours west of Brisbane. Thanks for the assist will keep practicing.

boof910

Welcome Charles from the Northwest of Western Australia.
Practice is the key. I have messed up then refinished many lovely blanks trying to rush the CA process. Take your time between coats and with the final sanding. Enjoy the ride and the results will come.

Top Bottom