HF lathe mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Well, I don't think anyone has done it quite like this but for what I need it will do.
I decided to try this as opposed to a cross slide table, which I will get later anyway.
I needed a way to mill a shallow section out of some cherry for an upcoming project and this will do that.
No, it is not at all rock solid. However, if I take shallow bites and run the lathe at top speed, it does a good job.
The section that holds the stock rides on 2 bottom mount drawer slides. That assembly gives me the side-to-side movement and the whole thing sits on a platform that rides the lathe ways with a banjo type clamp to hold it in place.
I'm debating on a leadscrew being added to make the feed easier and more consistent.
The bit is a 1/4" 2 flute solid carbide endmill used for metal. The chuck has a drawbar attached.

Attachments

• mill1.jpg
    mill1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 369
  • mill2.jpg
    mill2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 289
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

It looks like a simple rebate cut using a sled on the table saw.
You went to a lot of setup work for this.
Why go through all the trouble--surely there's a good reason?

Dale Allen

That cut showing is just a test as the bit only arrived this afternoon.

But hey....thanks a lot for all the kind words and encouragement!:rolleyes::yawn:

dogcatcher

After the cross slide thread I think I now see where you are headed. This is were the cross slide table and jigs will come in handy. Good job of thinking outside of the box.

GaryMGg

That cut showing is just a test as the bit only arrived this afternoon.

But hey....thanks a lot for all the kind words and encouragement!:rolleyes::yawn:

You don't need to take offense--there was none intended.
Like I said, you went to a lot of trouble and I'm sure there's a good reason.
I don't understand what that reason is; I was hoping you would enlighten me.
No?

Dale Allen

Thank you for the link Dogcatcher. I did look at that one and some others.
The vise has some limitations of it's own.
I'll get the #2008 from LMS after I get some other projects finished.

Talfalfa33

For this, you might want to try a three or four flute mill. with a higher RPM speed and more flutes doing the cutting, it'll take smaller bites of the wood and won't be so grabby and smoother sliding if you don't want to add a feed screw. But the feed screw would be the better idea. You also might consider looking for a collet chuck that threads onto your headstock for the end mill. Using a MT2 drill chuck could come loose and bite into your work piece and possibly break your cutter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom