HF grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leestoresund

I know simple machines from HF are most useful.

Anyone have a bad experience with their 6" bench grinder?

I'm fixin' to set up a sharpening station for my lathe.

Lee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edavisj316

I have been using the 8" for almost a year now and am very satisfied with it. I have had no issues. The grinding wheels may not be the highest quality. But I have not felt the need to replace them yet I am able to get a plenty sharp edge with them. I have a friend with the 6". But he has never made the sharpening station for it. So I can't say anything about it.

Attachments

• pens 051.jpg
    pens 051.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 206
  • pens 053.jpg
    pens 053.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 171

kevrob

Nope - I have had mine for about a year and have not had any bad experiences. Actually, I have heard plenty of horror stories about HF but have not had any bad experiences with any of the equipment I have purchased from them.

Good luck!

Haynie

The central machinery 10 inch bench grinder in our shop has been there since before 1994. Until this past April it was used heavily every day.

sbell111

Seems like I read somewhere that grinders used for sharpening lathe tools should be at least 8 inches. Something about the radius that the smaller grinders ground into the tool was a problem. The larger the wheel, the flatter the edge.

moke

Seems like I read somewhere that grinders used for sharpening lathe tools should be at least 8 inches. Something about the radius that the smaller grinders ground into the tool was a problem. The larger the wheel, the flatter the edge.

Lee--
From what I have heard that is exactly right....I believe 6" makes what is referred to as hollow ground. Also make sure that the grinder is slow speed or varible speed...make sure it will do 1750 or so. I have a HF buffer I inherited, it is 3450 which is way to fast and not really useable, but it does run well.

ctubbs

Ed, your sharpening station is very good looking. Do you have any plans available for it? It would make a great addition to the library.
Charles

sgimbel

I just bought the 6" grinder with the light and changed it to a buffing station. It works great for buffing. The plans for Ed's sharpening station i bought off a web site through "utube" for $5. It works very well. You put marks on the main board so you know where to move it for different tools.

edavisj316

Ed, your sharpening station is very good looking. Do you have any plans available for it? It would make a great addition to the library.
Charles

I found the plans on the following web-site.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/pdf/ShopBuiltJig.pdf

These are also helpful

http://www.youtube.com/user/johnrob281#p/c/01A590EC158DC841
http://homepage3.nifty.com/manasan/english/diy/diygr70.htm
http://aroundthewoods.com/sharp.shtml

I also made an attachment to sharpen my scrapers. It is just a flat platform that I clamp to the front. Would go take a picture, but my wife is making me help clean the house:(

sumterdad

I was gonna get one the other day but the didnt have a variable speed one. Which I thought that you needed to sharpen the tools. Have i been misguided, and missed out on a good deal

JimB

Lee--
From what I have heard that is exactly right....I believe 6" makes what is referred to as hollow ground. Also make sure that the grinder is slow speed or varible speed...make sure it will do 1750 or so. I have a HF buffer I inherited, it is 3450 which is way to fast and not really useable, but it does run well.

All round grinding wheels make a hollow grind. That is the nature of the curved surface. It will just be a little less of a hollow using an 8" wheel.

Top Bottom