HF Drill Press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocStram

HF has a drill press on sale .... 50% off. Originally $89 now $39. Please spare me the comments about HF being mainland China ... a lot of there stuff is also Taiwan. (I have a Chicago Machinery 14" bandsaw with riser blocks that suits my needs perfectly.) I use a ShopSmith for my pen turning .... including drilling blanks. But, I would like to have a dedicated drill press for pen blanks ... especially if I can get one for $39.

What I need advise with is this ....... will this drill press meet my needs for pen turning ... or should I pass? Here are the specs:

"5 SPEED DRILL PRESS
Get the quality and accuracy you need at a price you can afford. Powerful enough for small production shops, small enough for the home craftsman. Table tilts 45° left or right, 1/2'' chuck capacity. Includes depth adjustment gauge.

* Motor: 1/3 HP, 120V, 60Hz, 1720 RPM
* Five speeds: 620, 1100, 1720, 2340, 3100
* Spindle stroke: 2''
* Maximum swing: 9-1/2''
* Column diameter 1.89''
* Throat depth 4''
* Table size: 6-5/16'' x 6-1/2''
* Base dimensions: 11-1/8'' x 7''
* Overall dimensions: 17''W x 23''H x 7''D
* Weight: 51 lbs."

You can see it at:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=38119

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudwrkr

Al,
I used to have have one of these and it was ok. I eventually upgraded to a better model. I think you already know not to expect a high quality machine. Your shopsmith will be more accurate, but sometimes it is nice to have a drill press handy. For $39 its tough to beat it. If you have a store near you, you can use a coupon to save another $5. Here's a link to the latest store coupon: http://tinyurl.com/8cl6k.

knottyharry

Hi Al,
There are a lot of people who have stuff from HF, and have no problems with it.
I even have some.
I guess my thought at this point would be is it tall enough.
Would you have enough room from the table to get the blank in it, along with the length of the drill bit from the chuck.
If it is a short model....it may not work. But if it is the tall one.
I'd go for it.....you can upgrade later if you want.
Harry

DocStram

Dave ..... thanks for the extra 5 bucks coupon .... but I can't get the link to work!

Harry ..... good thinking about the height! I'm gonna go by HF tomorrow with a pen blank and check it out.

its_virgil

You will find the 2" stroke will not drill completely through a pen blank over 2" long. You will have to drill through part way, stop and raise the table or put a spacer under the drilling jig and start drilling again to drill through completely. Try to find one with a spindle stroke longer than 2"...I think you will be much happier. I had the HF table top modle for over a year and it worked.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by DocStram
<br /> * Spindle stroke: 2''

Thanks!

1080Wayne

Al The spindle stroke of 2 in means that you have to reposition the table in the middle of drilling any half blank for a tube longer than 2 in . Do-able , but a pain . <div align="left"></div id="left">Wayne Richardson

alamocdc

Al, like the others said, the 2" stroke is just too short. I have a Ryobi bench top DP with a 2 1/4" stroke and I quickly became frustrated with it. That's why I recently ordered the Tradesman. On the positive side, most of the HF equipment I have or have had was true and reliable. I wouldn't trade my HF bandsaw for any saw of equal size.

DocStram

Don .... Wayne ... Billy B

Dang ..... so that's what they mean by a 2" stroke! You're right. There's no way I'm going down that road. You guys just saved me a trip to HF. Not to mention a lot of anguish.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

wudwrkr

For the coupon, looks like the newsgroup software added the period to the link. try this link: http://tinyurl.com/8cl6k it should work. This coupon gets updated every week.

Good catch on the 2" stroke! There certainly are some smart people here[;)]

Randy_

I had one like yours for a couple of years and always felt inconvenienced. The 1/3 HP motor is a little undersized. You would be happier with a 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor. Also, the 620 RPM min. speed is a little fast, especially if you decide to do peppermills or something else that requires the use of large twist bits or Forstner bits.

Santa brought me a nicer unit last Christmas. Check out this one:

http://tinyurl.com/gaco6

I've been very satisfied with it so far. Essentially, it is a floor model with a shorter column so it can be used on a bench.

jwoodwright

I used my Shopsmith for years to drill pen blanks and made many pens... Made this jig to use the horzonital feature...

(drilling a Corian glue-up in the pix)

20063218843_ShopSmithdrilljig.jpg
<br />

Brent

I have a cheap drill press that cost 29.99 I bought it at one of those traveling tool sales. I bought it about 3 years ago and have used it a lot. It will drill about 2 1/4 in. and it is a pain to have to stop and move the blank. on some kits I could drill far enough but I always cut my blanks long. Have you looked at the ones at amazon, someone had a post about one of theirs a day or so ago. It looked liked they had some pretty good deals. If I had the extra funds right now I would seriously look in to one of them.

Rifleman1776

No guff about the China stuff. Much of my shop is from Grizzly and all their stuff comes from China. I'm a very patriotic guy but the facts are that the import items are often superior to American made and cost but a fraction. And, we just don't know if the "American made" is made in the U.S. or China. Often it is China. Importers like HF and Northern Tool do sell quite inexpensively. Sometimes you get great stuff and sometimes you will end up with [xx(] . I recenlty purchased a Northern Industrial sliding miter saw from Northern Tool for $99.00. I have found nothing to compare with it for under $300.00 from other sources. Good luck with your purchase. And, even if it isn't so good, consider your investment is minimal and you can start shopping again without starving your children.

GBusardo

I have a cheap drill press with about the same specs as the HF. All I know about my press is that is was manufactured in 1982. I have no problem slipping a piece of scrap plywood under my vice to finish the hole. Drilling the blank is about the only thing I don't have problems with [:D] My advice is that if you need a drill press, you can't do better than that price. Go for it. To save 100 bucks, I don't really think its a problem.

pete00

Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />I have a cheap drill press with about the same specs as the HF. All I know about my press is that is was manufactured in 1982. I have no problem slipping a piece of scrap plywood under my vice to finish the hole. Drilling the blank is about the only thing I don't have problems with [:D] My advice is that if you need a drill press, you can't do better than that price. Go for it. To save 100 bucks, I don't really think its a problem.

slip a piece of plywood under...such a simple thing i never thought of.....Ive been loosing and cranking the vise/table up......
boy do i feel stupid [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

guts

doc.wish you lived close to fort worth,i have one i would give ya(needs a new chuck)that goes for anyone else that wants it that can come pick it up,it is a h.f. one.

JimGo

Doc,
You wanna drive up to DC? I have a similar one from which I'm upgrading. The little HF's work fine, especially if you don't mind the problems described above about it's short quill travel. I'm upgrading because I'd like to do more canes (only done one so far), and the HF drill press can't handle anything as long as a cane piece. The only other problems I've experienced are:
1) The chuck works free periodically. Need to clean it and hit it with a mallet, then all is well for a while. and
2) The quill travel isn't exactly square. This isn't a problem for most kits with most blanks, but where you're as cheap as me and try to use 5/8" blanks for some of the big stuff (Gent, Statesman, Emperor, Ligero, etc.), you may run into the occasional problem.

Pipes

This is my first post here ! Hi guys I have a question why not just drill your pen blanks on your lathe ?? ! I have not turned a pen yet but I do turn a lot a wood for pipe tampers and I drill them with my lathe ! even thou I have a drill press duno why seems normal to me ???
Anyway love the forum reading a lot and learning a ton !!

Pipes

I figured the press to be faster ! never thought about folks not having the chuck for a lathe I assumed it was standard equipment ! I remember now mine did cost me a bit a money maybe thou I forget how much . and it could be a lot when your just seting up a new shop !seems I am always buying some kina tool man there not cheap ..thou with my dads tools he left and what I have bought over 30 yrs iam perty well set ! I forget how lucky I am ... I did get a new lathe a few yrs ago a Nova mercury ! I duno if anyone ever heard of it but it is built really well imo and has been trouble free for 3 yrs now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom