Hey cueman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cueman

Paul, Thanks, I was successful at drilling the cap barrel without a blow up[:)]. It always scares me drilling these glue ups with such a large drill. I'll post a picture of the finished pen.

Douglas.

jjenk02

Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />Just saw the pic of your glue up for the emperor. Going to make a NICE looking pen.

I went and took a look also. Paul that is an awsume glue up, I look forward to seeing a picture of the finished pen...

JimGo

Douglas,
Have you tried drilling using gradually larger bits? Not my preferred method, but I tried it this past weekend with some Zircote and Bloodwood, both of which had given me fits in previous attempts, and drilling 2 or 3 holes made a BIG difference. I keep the vise set in the same exact spot, and make sure the table is low enough to clear the longest of the bits before I start, this way everything stays lined up as I swap bits.

twoofakind

I was looking at your glue up and I have been trying to figure that joint out for some time. I was going to someday try and make my own pool cue. What is that type of glue up called? I have no idea what to call it so I cannot find any info on it.
Andy

cueman

Jim, I can think of nothing better to say than DUHHHHHHHH! I can not believe that I have not tried this. I used to bore these on a metal lathe until I got one of those self centering vise from csu. I drilled a solid round this morning and it helped alot, will have to try it on one of these glue ups next. Thanks.

Andy, Here is a picture of some parts used for these glue ups. I guess the proper name for this glue up would be mortise and tenon. I first drill a 1/4" hole to mount the blank on a mandrel, make everything round, cut the inlay pockets using a indexing head and a router set up on my metal lathe, then using a parting tool I cut all the rings to be glued onto a 1/4" wooden dowel. If my pic does not show here, you can see it in my album.

Douglas.

2006125133725_pieces%20&%20parts%20(Small).jpg
<br />

twoofakind

Thanks for the info. I figure if I am going to purchase an expensive pool cue like a schon or a viking type of cue, I can make a better one out of better components that I picked out. I might start on a pen first though to try it on a smaller scale.
Andy

Paul in OKC

If I may, those of you that have Fred's indexing plate have a head start. The cue makers I know use a slitting saw mounted in a router on the lathe and make slots in the wood, then fill with a verneer the same thickness.

cueman

Thanks all. I just uploaded a few photos of my somewhat crude setup to my photo album, I am having trouble uploading to a post for some reason. The index head is the key to this operation, it allows me to positon a my work piece at precise increments to cut the inlay channels or pockets. This can be setup and performed many different ways, this is the way I learned and is the most cost effective for me since I already had a metal lathe, if I had a milling machine, that might be a better setup. A index can be found for about $50.00 at places like Enco or Grizzly.

Douglas.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by cueman
<br />I just uploaded a few photos of my somewhat crude setup

Douglas.

Nice setup! As far as drilling I have had good luck wrapping the glued up blank in a layer of paper then reinforcing it with packaging or blue painters tape to give a bit of extra external support while using mutiple step ups in drill size. Even it the blank splits using this method it can usually be saved and glued back together.

Chuckie

cueman

Hey Floyd,
I learned about penmaking gathering supplies for making cues, although I have not made a cue for sometime now. My first cue I made turned out undersized, too short & too light, but it's straight as an arrow, until the shaft is screwed on [:)]. I have done some cue repair also, can get pretty ugly at times.

desert1pocket

I used a mill with a cheap spin index to cut all of my rings for cuemaking. It is so much easier to make sure everything is perfect using a mill. When I started out I did not have a mill, and I actually cut my v-grooves on the lathe as well. Getting the mill cut my time down to less than half. I have been talking to some people at the pool hall about making pens to match their custom cues. Hopefully I can get my first pen orders soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom