Herringbone/basketweeve..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from USAFVET98

USAFVET98

So I saw the instructions in the library for a herringbone type design. I dont know if it is that or basketweeve. Anyway, I turned one myself for the first time and really enjoyed it. This one is a 30 degree herringbone. A bit difficult but easy once you get started.

This pen is turned with puple heart, zebra, and curly maple.

Any feedback and tips are welcome.

Attachments

• newpenpics 001.jpg
    newpenpics 001.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 381
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akbar24601

That looks great Brian! I like the color combo of the woods. The fit of the pieces looks good too. In my opinion, I would have gone with a different finish on the kit. Perhaps a Satin Nickel would have looked good and not quite stood out as much as the Satin Pearl.

jskeen

I dunno, I kinda like the satin pearl white fittings against the different woods. Maybe white is just a good background to display contrasting colors against. Now, the kit, IMO, is not as great. I have just never cared for the deco euro kit as much as the original euro. The spring clip is a nice concept, but it just don't look as good as the traditional euro with the clip mounted under the finial (YMMV).

Here's am aesthetic question for everybody. Do the bold grain stripes in the zebra wood tend to subtract from the segmented design, when put together with the other two woods, which have contrasting, but fairly homogeneous colors? I almost think that if you are going to go to the trouble to segment a pen, the focus should be on the divisions between the different woods, and not so much on the internal color variations within the individual woods.

In any case, a beautiful job of an intricate blank, and very well executed too.

James

rick_lindsey

I've been poking around in the library and for some reason can't find a herringbone tutorial... do you happen to have a link?

thanks!

-Rick

Ligget

Excellent segmenting, I agree with James about the Zebra wood`s strong grain distracting the eye from the otherwise perfectly symetrical pattern. Still beautiful though!

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
there should be no negative comment on this pen it is great work no matter what kit you used. I cant wait to have time to do one of those.

Top Bottom