Here's an interesting problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
One of my woodworking students was working with pine to make some planter boxes for his spouce. He showed up with this piece and wanted to know if I wanted to could use the cutoff for pen making.
His spouse paints the planter boxes with artistic scenary and I had the same misgivings for that use as well.
Never seen a resin channel quite like this one (of course I use almost exclusively hardwoods). If I were to use this I'm thinking probably shellac to seal first. The resin is very sticky, even sanding would be a problem.
Pine-Resin-Channel_2.jpg

Pine-Resin-Channel_1.jpg

Anyone ever try finishing anything like this? I'm thinking his spouce uses acrylic paints. Don't think I'll be using it for anything but kindling.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

islandturner

"Don't think I'll be using it for anything but kindling. "

That's exactly what I was thinking as I looked at the photos. We used to seek out pine blowdown like this, back when I was heating my house with wood. You don't even need paper -- just hold the match to a sliver of pitch-wook like this, and away it goes...! I can only imagine how this would gum up the lathe bed and tools...

Fred

You might try turning it down smaller than needed and then cast it in clear.

Otherwise I doubt that you will make much progress as the resin will always be sticky to some degree. I think cutting it on the bandsaw/table saw will show you what a mess pine rosin can be. Have some turpentine handy for a good blade cleaning!

Maybe try asking Mesquiteman about the casting. This might make for an interesting conversation.

Keep the IAP gang informed on your progress with this venture.

ctubbs

In my limited experience with that nasty gunk, the only way to truly hold pine tar is to kiln dry the piece. It does something to chemically bond the pitch and hold it in the wood. It is truly a shame for that is one pretty piece of timber, but anything you try to put on top will eventually give in to the pitch and out it will come. Other than kindling, it would always be a fun thing to hand someone you do not particularity care for and watch them get all stuck.
Charles
ps; trying to burn it in a stove or fireplace is not a good idea either. Think Creosote.

Last edited:

papaturner

I actually did one from a pine knot very similar to that for a customer......He hasn't returned it yet.:biggrin:

What I did was turn as usual then cleaned with acetone and put a CA finish.

I love the odor while turning.
Good luck with

Top Bottom