Here they are, but nobody figured it out yet.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drjpawlus

drjpawlus

Here are some of my earlier brushes and prototype hangers. The brushes are suspended vertically by neodynium magnets. This allows the water to drain away from the ferrules. The tail pieces are magnetic stainless, several different tips to choose from. The hangers are now being made from stainless steel so that they do not draw attention from the brushes. The brushes are interchangeable and go from 2/0 to size 8, all on the same handle. The brushes are suspended on the bowl with neodynium magnets as well so that they do not touch the sides of the bowl. The bowls come in 1 slot and 3 slot configurations. They are for artists, hobbyists, dental lab technicians, anyone who uses brushes. The tesla coil is specific to the dental lab industry and whoever figures out what it does gets the wood prize. Ebony burl, crazy curl pernambuco, and a few other ones.

Attachments

• Front page image.jpg
    Front page image.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 426
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FrankG

Tesla coils are used by dental surgeons to painlessly cut gum tissue in their treatment of gum disease. They are also used in older dental X-ray equipment.

drjpawlus

More brushes

Some photos from the show. I had blanks that people could choose to have their brushes custom designed.

Attachments

• zephyr-brushes1.jpg
    zephyr-brushes1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 625
  • get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 301

RAdams

Banned
ok...

the tesla coil is used for teeth cleaning?

the tesla coil is used as a high speed motor for a grinder type tool?

Low field Magnetic resonance imaging for implant dentistry?

one more guess...... Used in Ozone therapy to prevent or reverse tooth decay?

Last edited:

David Keller

I did find a reference to using tesla coil magnetic field to remove harmful heavy metals like mercury from filings, so I guess that's a possibility as well.

ribanett

Nikola Tesla

The tesla coil is specific to the dental lab industry

The Telsa Coil is not specific to the dental lab industry!

The Telsa Coil was invented by Nikola Telsa in the late 1800s. It is a resonant transformer curcuit used to produce high-voltage, low current at a high frequency. We have Mr. Tesla to thank for our current AC distribution system

drjpawlus

The Telsa Coil is not specific to the dental lab industry!

The Telsa Coil was invented by Nikola Telsa in the late 1800s. It is a resonant transformer curcuit used to produce high-voltage, low current at a high frequency. We have Mr. Tesla to thank for our current AC distribution system
Yes,you are absolutely right. I am quite familiar with Mr. Tesla. He is perhaps the greatest inventor that walked the planet earth. I have read about every book written about him. In a previous post, I wrote that it only looked like a tesla coil, was not a tesla coil, more of a tribute to Mr. Tesla. There are six different tail designs to these brushes. These brushes are used by artists, lab technicians, anyone who uses brushes. The one that "looks like" a tesla coil (not really, more like the thing from Bride of Frankenstein, not Tesla's version) is specifically used only for the dental lab industry. You are correct sir that true tesla coils are not specific to the dental lab industry. It is not for looks as someone else had posted. It has a specific purpose that every lab technician is familiar with.

RAdams

Banned
it is for holding in your teeth while your hands are full. it will be interesting to see the actual answer.

David Keller

It could be used for cleaning and/or shaping the brush tip... by dragging the tip of the brush through one of the grooves you could alter the shape or content of the brush.

David Keller

If the tail were easily removed, it could be used to hold a tooth while using the brush end to manipulate the surface. It could then be used to transfer the tooth into the kiln for curing.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
John,

I didn't take porcelain class in dental school as it was an elective. I wanted to take something useful, so I took the gold foil class. (Hopefully I have made better decisions since then!)

Does the coil act in some way to defeat/reduce static charges to allow for more precise placement of porcelain on the crown?

Thanks for an interesting series of posts.

drjpawlus

John,

I didn't take porcelain class in dental school as it was an elective. I wanted to take something useful, so I took the gold foil class. (Hopefully I have made better decisions since then!)

Does the coil act in some way to defeat/reduce static charges to allow for more precise placement of porcelain on the crown?

Thanks for an interesting series of posts.

Yep, you took the wrong class and it cost you this contest. If only you knew then that the gold foil you placed in class would be the last one you would ever place. Every time I see a gold foil now, I ask what dental school they did that at. I see one every 4th year or so.

Top Bottom