Here fishy, fishy, fishy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brian G

Brian G

I was paired with Skie_M in the October PITH, and decided to make an attempt at casting a fishing lure blank for one of his pens (link to the post of the picture showing what I sent)

I know better than to rely on one attempt, so I made a few. I'm not a fisherman, so if they don't look like lures, then I have some funny-looking pens. All of these are cast in PR.

Alluring Cigar.jpg

I used reflective fishing lure tape for the background, some reflective eyeball decals, and adhesive-backed striping for decoration. The striping didn't adhere too well, lifted a little before pouring, and resulted in a few bubbles that I couldn't see or chase away. I think the adhesive on the striping might not work well with PR, either.

Close up of the "head"

FishHead.jpg

I used a Sierra Vista for this one, because the striping pulled away far enough that I didn't think a regular Sierra would work. I think I was a little lucky. I see some bubbles, again. I figure it's supposed to be a fish, fish make bubbles, so bubbles are part of the effect :wink:

SierraVFish.jpg

I didn't put a "gill" on this one, but should have. Plus, I think I like the eye on the finial end, rather than the nib end.

SVbody.jpg

Finally, I had some "leftover" foils from other projects. I used aluminum foil as the base for the lower barrel, and overlaid red-painted foil "stripes." I used blue-painted foil for the upper barrel, and used a star-shaped paper punch to punch stars from leftover reflective tape I used for the lure pens.

Murica.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments, critiques, and questions are welcomed.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

They all look great! :)

Still hiding my fishing pen from my uncle .... I may have to keep it boxed up till I move back to Alaska or somethin!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Brian, All three pens look wonderful!

The first two look great for the view intent I might suggest you'll have better success with Walleye than Muskie (sorry CREID). :)

It is nice to see something different!

All three pens are excellent!

CREID

Brian, All three pens look wonderful!

The first two look great for the view intent I might suggest you'll have better success with Walleye than Muskie (sorry CREID). :)

It is nice to see something different!

All three pens are excellent!

It was a guess. I'm from Washington. :biggrin:

Brian G

Depends on what they eat. :wink:

Thank you for all of the comments.

If I make more of these, I'll work on making sure the striping is affixed with more tenacity. Blank casting season is done for me, unless I venture into more Alumilite casting.

Skie_M

Hmmm ... rather than depend on the adhesive alone to hold the tape, would it work better to tack it in place with a little CA, and then pre-brush the exterior of the finished blank with your PR before doing the pour?

Brian G

Hmmm ... rather than depend on the adhesive alone to hold the tape, would it work better to tack it in place with a little CA, and then pre-brush the exterior of the finished blank with your PR before doing the pour?

I'll take that into consideration. I speculate that the adhesive is intended to be mostly insoluble in water (it's for fishing lures), which might mean the styrene in PR and the heat during cure softens the adhesive.

Experiments will have to wait.

Top Bottom