Her 1st Vase 12 Years old

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wolfdancer

Wolfdancer

Banned
Hello GUys here is something to brag about. I started teaching my 12 year old little girl on how to turn pens a few years back and look at what the little wonder has done know with no help at all from me just asked a few questions.

Its Champhor one of the easest burls to turn and the most stable.

Let me know what you think and I will pass it along to her.
100_8193.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

That's very sophisticated for a 12 yr old. I am interested to see how she finished the inside - any more pics? Have you thought of applying (or having her apply) for for one of the AAW educational funds? Anybody (youth in this case - no membership required) can apply and the idea is to learn with someone/some institution to improve skills.

The funding is very generous.
http://www.woodturner.org/resources/eog/

She may well become one of the new named turners if she keeps going in this direction.

What a nice post for father's day.

Dee

I am impressed by her sense of design......very artful! You might need to send that youngin to art school one day!

jskeen

Rodney;

You can pass on to her that it is a very well executed and designed project. The coves and beads appear very symmetrical and uniform as to the top and bottom radii, and the surface is very well prepared for the finish. There are very few scratches, and yet she did not wash out the crisp edges and angles by oversanding.

From a design standpoint, the fact that the lower section is centered and regular in curvature grounds the piece and provides solidity, while the upper section being asymetricaly offset upward provides directionality to the piece and defines that as the upper section very nicely.

All of which is to say that she has a good eye for shapes and a good hand for turning. She can be proud.

Wolfdancer

Banned
Hello James
She says thanks very much. The scrates were from the polish part she dropped it. Then she cryed for a long time afterwards. I told her I would fix it but she wanted it left just the way it was without days hands on it.

Originally posted by jskeen

Rodney;

You can pass on to her that it is a very well executed and designed project. The coves and beads appear very symmetrical and uniform as to the top and bottom radii, and the surface is very well prepared for the finish. There are very few scratches, and yet she did not wash out the crisp edges and angles by oversanding.

From a design standpoint, the fact that the lower section is centered and regular in curvature grounds the piece and provides solidity, while the upper section being asymetricaly offset upward provides directionality to the piece and defines that as the upper section very nicely.

All of which is to say that she has a good eye for shapes and a good hand for turning. She can be proud.

rlharding

The inside is also nicely turned. It looks like she hasn't finished all the way to the bottom but that's OK too. Those are the choices we make depending on the use of the item. I have no doubt she could have finished it nicely. You may wish to direct her to woodcentral.com. They would love to have her as a poster and she would learn tons about methods of turning things other than pens.

markgum

IMPRESSIVE. Wish I had the patience to make my vases look that good.
Tell her she did a GREAT JOB and we can't wait to see what she turns next.

Top Bottom