Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeweler53

4240 Wellington Loop SE, Lacey, WA, 98503
I just received my brand new collet chuck, purchased second hand from one of our members. Thanks MattTheHat!

Unfortunately I made a newbie mistake. I have a MT2 lathe, the collet set is MT3 (which was perfectly clear in the communication and is entirely my error.)

Can it be "turned down"? The main body appears to be one solid piece. What would it cost me (either in $s or trade)?

Dick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenessl

Check out Packard woodworks (packardwoodworks.com). they sell morse taper adaptors I believe the one you need is 113403 and it will cost you abour $11.00.
Ken

Andrew_K99

Check out Packard woodworks (packardwoodworks.com). they sell morse taper adaptors I believe the one you need is 113403 and it will cost you abour $11.00.
Ken
That's not the right one, it goes from the larger MT3 down to MT2, Dick requires the opposite, going from the smaller MT2 up to MT3.

I tried googling them, and they appear to exist, but would likely be hard to get and expensive.

Here is one I found http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...g/mt-extension-socket-soft-mt3-hole-mt2-shank

AK

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
An adapter is a very very poor fix. You will be adding one more thing to make it turn things out of round. Take it to a machine shop or some one who can turn it down correctly, yes it can be turned down or resell it and buy the right one. Figure out which one costs you the least amount of money.

jeweler53

4240 Wellington Loop SE, Lacey, WA, 98503
I found those also

My fear is that whatever "wobble" there is in my lathe, it would be amplified by adding such a long adapter. I was hoping the existing taper could be reduced in size by someone who has a metal lathe and knows how to do it.

Dick

Last edited:

okiebugg

Ken
That's not the right one, it goes from the larger MT3 down to MT2, Dick requires the opposite, going from the smaller MT2 up to MT3.

I tried googling them, and they appear to exist, but would likely be hard to get and expensive.

Here is one I found Metalworking | Rotary Tooling | MT Extension Socket Soft, MT3 Hole, MT2 Shank | B608202 - GlobalIndustrial.com

AK

Try amazon

rherrell

Sell the one you have and buy the right one, the one you have is PROBABLY one piece which will make it almost impossible for a machine shop to mount it in a lathe and turn it down.

MattTheHat

Dick,

If you want to send it back for a refund I've got no problem with that at all. I've got a whole mess of stuff I need to list on eBay any way.

Drop me a PM if you want to go that route.

You might check with a local shop, though. They could chuck a piece of drill rod in one of the collets, and then chuck that up in their lathe collet and pull up a live center to the back end. They shouldn't have any problem doing so, but I have no idea what they might charge you.

-Matt

Top Bottom