Help with wood identity!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

I made this pen a little while ago. I am not sure what the wood is but it changes color as you move it. It goes from darker peach to light peach color. Any ideas about the wood kind would be greatly appreciated. It is on a Retro Rhodium from CSUSA with a custom finial..

1_pen-1c.jpg

Hope you all like it and I also hope a few can identify my wood.. Mahogany maybe?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
looks like mahogany to me

and if it happened to come from one of the blanks I
gave to you at a meeting, it likely is. That stuff had
a LOT of chatoyance. It's like there's LED's in there
or something..

Last edited:

Tom T

Great pen. I wood call it African mahogany. It might also be called I think sapila( really bad spelling and I may have the wrong name.). I get it at WC. I am making a round kitchen table out of it also.
I have turned a bunch of it. That is my opinion which could be wrong.
Buy the way doesn't African mahogany sell for more than just mahogany.

It's Mahogany. It has that reflective look about it when covered in a transparent finish. I can't remember exactly what species it is, but I have quite a bit of it that I got in some wood trade deal a few years ago. Honduran maybe. Also, Mahogany has become sort of a generic term used to sell many species of wood, and many of those species go by many names, so it's a mess to keep up with.

It's Mahogany. It has that reflective look about it when covered in a transparent finish. I can't remember exactly what species it is, but I have quite a bit of it that I got in some wood trade deal a few years ago. Honduran maybe. Also, Mahogany has become sort of a generic term used to sell many species of wood, and many of those species go by many names, so it's a mess to keep up with.

Chatoyance is the word, I believe.

Chatoyance is the word, I believe.

We'll make that the word of the day... now use it in a sentence :)

That is a is better description than reflective.

yaroslaw

"Mahogany" is bad description, as it means "rose wood" and can point to dosens of different species.

It looks like Sapele, though, or close relative to it - Sipe. Don't know if Sapele and Sipe are different at big scale, pieces I have are different a bit with grain size and color, sapele being a bit darker. But actually sapele can be much more darker than on a photo or pieces I have.

Top Bottom