help with wiring, PLEASE!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

merlinn

I recently purchased a used lathe (Jet Midi Model 1014) that the previous owner had started replacing the motor in. (Couldn't beat the price.) Everything is set to go except the wiring to the on/off switch isn't hooked up. I've tried a few different combinations but can't seem to get the right wire on the right post. It has two black wires, two white wires (two from the power cord, two to the motor, all with spade fittings) and two green wires with eyelet ends. The back of the switch has two vertical and two horizontal spade fittings. Does anyone know the proper positioning for the wires? I don't need an electrical fire to burn my house down.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I'm 99 percent sure you are describing the NON indexing and non VSI Jet 1014 as the 1014VSI doesn't have the configuration you mentioned.

The green wires with the eyelets are grounds that ground to the green screw on the switch.
If you google Walter Meier Jet Tools, this is the parts facility for Jet. They'll have a manual as well as parts break down that shoes the switch.

GENERALLY, the brass lugs on a switch are for the black wire (one on each side of the switch) and the "chrome switch lugs are for white (one on each side of the switch).

merlinn

Thanks, Pen Man1. The switch has 4 brass lugs, no chrome, and no green screw. All it ahs is the four brass lugs. I'll check with the reference.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmm

The green wires are always ground and will be connected together and connected to ground on the unit - something that connects to the frame if the screw isn't on the switch it should be nearby and usually will have some green paint on it.

Some setups switch both the hot (black) and neutral (white) wires and some switch only the black. If it's switching only the hot side the neutrals are just connected together with a wire nut. Also the switch connections for a toggle switch might be different than for a push-button. If you have an ohm meter measure between contacts and operate the switch and see what happens.

It's only 2 wires in and 2 wires out...so it isn't rocket science...its just a matter of getting in and out matched. A picture of the switch and the switch contacts would help.

PenMan1

If the lugs are all brass, they should be divided with two lugs on one side (or top) of the switch, and two lugs on the other side (or bottom) of the switch.

For example: if you put the white wire from the power cord to the left lug on one side of the switch, the white wire to the motor should be on the left lug on the other side of the switch.

IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT ANY OTHEF WAY: Take an ohm meter with a continuity "beep tone" (if you don't have one, every shop really needs one and they are as cheap as $5), turn on the "beep" . Touch the two test probes on the meter to make sure it beeps.

THEN: connect one test lug to one side of the switch. Probe the other two luge on the other side of the switch. If neither lug causes the meter to "beep", flip the power switch and probe again. When it beeps, you have found the corresponding wire for the other side of the switch. Hook the black wires to these two lugs, and the whites wires to the other two lugs.

Look for a screw hole in the lathe. Connect the two green wires with spade lugs to a screw in the lathe body. It really is that simple.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Sounds good to me.
If the lugs are all brass, they should be divided with two lugs on one side (or top) of the switch, and two lugs on the other side (or bottom) of the switch.

For example: if you put the white wire from the power cord to the left lug on one side of the switch, the white wire to the motor should be on the left lug on the other side of the switch.

IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT ANY OTHEF WAY: Take an ohm meter with a continuity "beep tone" (if you don't have one, every shop really needs one and they are as cheap as $5), turn on the "beep" . Touch the two test probes on the meter to make sure it beeps.

THEN: connect one test lug to one side of the switch. Probe the other two luge on the other side of the switch. If neither lug causes the meter to "beep", flip the power switch and probe again. When it beeps, you have found the corresponding wire for the other side of the switch. Hook the black wires to these two lugs, and the whites wires to the other two lugs.

Look for a screw hole in the lathe. Connect the two green wires with spade lugs to a screw in the lathe body. It really is that simple.

PenMan1

Smitty:
The Jet (as does many lathes) switches both wires. That way, with a DPDT switch, you can easily make the lathe reversible.

All 4 wires on the Jet really should go to the switch.

merlinn

Thanks to all!!:) I looked up the website from Pen Man1 and found a diagram. Got it all hooked up and will be turning this afternoon!! Ah, the sweet smell of freshly turned wood!!:wink::biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty:
The Jet (as does many lathes) switches both wires. That way, with a DPDT switch, you can easily make the lathe reversible.

All 4 wires on the Jet really should go to the switch.
I thought that would be it. I know the company I worked for always used DP switches in the power lines when the power switch was off everything beyond it was dead unless there were capicators left charged.

Top Bottom