Help with Enduro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

eugene22_73

I've been doing alot of researching and am wanting to try a different finish other than CA. I see alot about enduro but I have a question for those who use it. This might seem funny to ask but what does enduro mean and what are some names of actual products that you use that are considered enduro finishes. I am more drawn to the wood look and feel of a pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcollazo

Enduro is a water-based polyurethane. Do a search on this site for it and you'll come up with all sorts of information. To start you off, here a link to Compliant Spray Systems website (they make Enduro).
http://www.compliantspraysystems.com/enduro_water_base_coatings/enduro_coatings.htm
Click on the "Interior/Exterior Poly" tab on the left side.

Joe

eugene22_73

I was looking at the compliant spray systems web site and looking at the enduro products. What color and or sheen does someone want to use for the pen finish?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Eugene, this is a link to Wayne's definitive instructions on the use of Enduro. This should answer most of your questions.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=8321

eugene22_73

I have the instruction's to Wayne's enduro finish copied and printed and I have read over them quite a few times. What I am having trouble with and not being experienced with the enduro finish is...#1 what enduro actually means( from the above reply and web link, that has helped tremendously? But now my trouble is what exactly do I need to order to start the enduro finish? Does the poly come with SS(2part system) or are the SS and Enduro seperate things you order.
Also I noticed there were different sheens. I guess I'm having trouble grasping what to order...sorry

wdcav1952

Eugene, sorry, I didn't know you had the instructions. Go back to Compliant Spray Systems page. Click on enduro, and then to the second page. There you should see the Get Acquainted offer. Get the Poly offer which has one quart each of sanding sealer and poly. I prefer the gloss as it gives me a high shine with great depth of finish.

Hope I steered you right this time! [;)]

pmpartain

You can go to Beartooth Woods. Ernie sells a sample kit of Enduro. You get the Sanding Sealer and the topcoat in separate convenient size squirt bottles. Doesn't cost much. He has some of the best customer service I have ever seen.

wdcav1952

Originally posted by pmpartain
<br />You can go to Beartooth Woods. Ernie sells a sample kit of Enduro. You get the Sanding Sealer and the topcoat in separate convenient size squirt bottles. Doesn't cost much. He has some of the best customer service I have ever seen.

DUH!! (Imagine the sound of me slapping my forehead in disbelief that I didn't think of that!!!!)

rgundersen

To steal a post from a thread I was reading ove the past two days...

Go with the high gloss or shiniest available, in that you can always reduce the shine using some micro to a sei gloss or matte, but you cant increase the shine above the name for the other two.

Have not used Enduro but the logic would seem to apply the same.

Randy_

Originally posted by pmpartain
<br />You can go to Beartooth Woods. Ernie sells a sample kit of Enduro. You get the Sanding Sealer and the topcoat in separate convenient size squirt bottles. <b>Doesn't cost much.</b> He has some of the best customer service I have ever seen.

Kind of depends on your definition. You can get a kit from Beartooth for $7 + shipping which included 2 oz. of sanding sealer and 2 oz. of Enduro "Poly." Not a bad deal, I guess, if you are just looking for a sample. On the other hand, that works out $400± by the gallon!! A gallon of each from Enduro would cost you about $100 including shipping. The starter kit from Enduro for $25(1 qt. of each) might be the better choice for many people??.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
If in doubt, call Compliant Systems at the number you will find on their Website, and tell the nice lady who answers the phone that you want the same thing all of the other penturners are buying. She will know what you want.

You will have to buy a couple squirt bottles from the beauty supply store. They sell them as "Hair Colorant Bottles" and the 6 oz size will cost $1.59.

Don't worry about saving the enduro in the can. It has a longer shelf life after the can has been opened than almost anything else you can use for finishing a pen. There are also other uses for it because Enduro is better than any other polyurethane finish you can put on a piece of wood, either flat or turned (my opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom