Help! OXBLOOD coloured blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Katya

Hi all- my butcher is a cool woman who wants a pen. Her father started out in shoe-making, so everything in her house growing up was black, brown or oxblood<g>. Her shop has oxblood and black in the logo.

Can anyone point me to -or make me- some oxblood blanks? Any ideas? She's very specific about it being a true oxblood shade. I'll show her some tru-stone blanks which may do the trick, but thought I'd ask you folks too.
Many thanks,
Catherine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

I don't know of any off-the-shelf blanks (there might be!), but there are several members here that can make blanks with custom colors for you. Jonathon (brooks803) has always been my "go to" guy, but I'm sure there are others.

healeydays

I think if you go find some Manzanita burl, it will be real close. There are a couple sellers I have found on Ebay that have had some very nice oxblood colored pieces. This is someone I have bought a couple pieces from recently and I love the colors.

mcduffeejason2011 | eBay

gbpens

If you are looking for wood you might consider Jarrah burl. If you want acrylic then a custom blank is the way to go.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Bloodwood? or Purpleheart? I have both if you want to make the trip! Finish with Oxblood shoe polish.

Last edited:

Justturnin

I bet you could find a fingernail polish that could be used with Alumilite. I assume it would work since spray paint works with it.

Jim Smith

Depending on the kit you're planning on using, you may be able to take an all red blank and reverse paint the blank dark brown. If the kits takes the blank down to fairly thin, it should come out looking like oxblood. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

PenPal

Hi Catherine,

I once owned a pair of ox blood shoes and they had a profound effect on me I just loved them polished them all the time. My main clothing for so many years now is jeans etc no match there but I do have fondest memories of the quality of those shoes and that outstanding colour. Have success and you did receive beaut advice and help on this forum just now, look forward to seeing the pen and trust all is well with you, I have enjoyed my conversations etc when we swapped not so long ago and value the pen you made for me.

Kind regards to you both Peter,

Top Bottom