Help needed - Churchill Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kunzwerks

First post and first time turning a Churchill rollerball kit. I notice upon laying out the pen parts that the rollerball nib just slides into the brass tube. It's not a press fit as i would of expected and is easily pulled apart. Is this meant to be glued in place?

The instructions don't mention any of this. https://www.penblanks.ca/instructions/english/Churchill.pdf
I checked the instructions on another website and seems the instructions are identical, so no help there. Can anyone please advise?

Attachments

• 027BBCDF-EFFF-4CF5-BF72-EC93462D946B.jpeg
    027BBCDF-EFFF-4CF5-BF72-EC93462D946B.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 63
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

So, based on what I can see in your photo, it seems like maybe some parts are missing? You don't usually fit plastic or other parts directly into the tube. Usually, there is a metal part. In the instructions, I see a part called "nib holder"...which is a metal part that would be friction fit into the tube. Do you have that part?

Kunzwerks

I ordered both the rollerball and fountain pen versions. Both kits have the nib holder made from plastic. I can only assume the metal nib holder shown in the instructions has changed to plastic. The kits are complete, with no parts missing.

I checked on the fit of the nib holder for the fountain pen and it is more snug, but still able to pull it apart.

Last edited:

egnald

Interesting, it looks like the "Nib holder", which used to be metal has been replaced by plastic. Normally the "Nib holder" and "Receiver holder" would both press into the brass tube and either the "Fountain nib" or the "Rollerball nib" would screw in along with the Receiver. Perhaps the revised, plastic, "Nib holder" was made undersized or the tube is slightly oversized.

Capture.JPG

Will the "Rollerball nib" unscrew from the plastic "Nib holder"? If it does, the you might try adding a little blue Loctite on the "Nib holder" before pressing it into the tube (after you have turned and finished it of course). If that isn't strong enough then perhaps a very small bit of epoxy. I would certainly try the Loctite first though as it is more forgiving if you should need to press the part back out to try again. Epoxy would make this very problematical.

I hope you are able to find a workable solution.

Dave

Last edited:

Kunzwerks

you might try adding a little blue Loctite on the "Nib holder" before pressing it into the tube
Not a bad suggestion, Dave. BTW, The nib does unscrew from the nib holder. As my photo shows the receiver holder is metal … just the nib holder has changed to plastic.

I can't see anyway around "gluing" this to secure it, in what should be a press fit. Hoping someone has worked on the same kit to clarify their experience.

One can order the nib holder separately, but as shown they are plastic.

Attachments

• A0833C92-F4B2-4E38-9AD4-DDF4641F9A61.jpeg
    A0833C92-F4B2-4E38-9AD4-DDF4641F9A61.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

jrista

Not a bad suggestion, Dave. BTW, The nib does unscrew from the nib holder. As my photo shows the receiver holder is metal … just the nib holder has changed to plastic.

I can't see anyway around "gluing" this to secure it, in what should be a press fit. Hoping someone has worked on the same kit to clarify their experience.

One can order the nib holder separately, but as shown they are plastic.
So, I actually will generally use loctite to glue in my parts, even though they are press fit. I just want that extra bit of security. The reason we use loctite is it won't ruin metal platings.

Since your part is actually plastic, I would say you could probably rough the surface up a bit, and just use some CA. I would make sure no CA leaks out, but it shouldn't have any of that creeping hazing effect that CA can have on some of the metal platings.

I guess, it may depend on just HOW LOOSE they really are. Is there any friction at all, or is there an actual gap between the plastic part and the inside of the tube? If there is a large enough discrepancy, you might try contacting the manufacturer, as either the part is undersized, or the tube is oversized, and you probably want to get that fixed.

Kunzwerks

I guess, it may depend on just HOW LOOSE they really are. Is there any friction at all, or is there an actual gap between the plastic part and the inside of the tube?
There is no looseness or gap. There is some friction, but as I mentioned it is fairly easy to pull apart. Certainly not enough friction to leave as is … the pen would fall apart.

I believe this is the fault of the plastic nib holder being undersized, although the rim of the nib holder is the correct measured diameter and matches the bushing diameter. Manufacturing problem perhaps?

In any case, glue is going to be the solution. Thanks everyone.

Kunzwerks

Finished a couple of them. Ended up using epoxy to glue the nib holder in place. Blanks are dye stabilized curly maple.

Attachments

• 557EFC5B-136E-4729-8422-DDC07B0E88D4.jpeg
    557EFC5B-136E-4729-8422-DDC07B0E88D4.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 44

its_virgil

The Churchill is a Berea Hardwoods kit and every one I have made had a metal nib holder. I have made several Churchills over the years. Your nib holder picture is from pinkitsmall which is a company in China. My assumption, from your picture, is your kits must have come from penkitsmall. Seems they have replaced the metal nib holder with one made from plastic. I have never seem a Churchill with a plastic nib holder. Just my educated guess.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom