Help need to make apen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

danroggensee

Hi all I need some help. I want to make a pen for my Pain Dr that as of today has made me pain free for the first time in over 5 years and all he did was give me some shots in my back where the pain was. So i would like to make him i nice pen. But you have to keep in mind that I am, new to pen turning. so it has got to be nice and easy to do. Any help and ideas will be greatly appreicated.. I do not want to buy one....

Thanks
Dannie

P.S. I have until 2/2/09 to get it done.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sierra or Elegant Beauty. EBs use the same tubes as Sierras, just look a little different. And agree with Cav on getting it engraved.

And Congratulations on being pain free!

jskeen

For a MD, you might consider the push button sierra design. It's the only durable pushbutton design that I know of, and is still nice and easy. My MIL is a respiratory therapist, and she swears that the only pen most medical types will use is a pushbutton, cause they have to be able to fish it out of a pocket and open it with one hand while holding a patients chart in the other.

James

jkeithrussell

Agree with the click pen idea, unless it is designed as a desk pen. Disagree with the medical symbol. Just make a nice pen out of a good quality wood or synthetic material and let it stand on its own. You want this to be a pen that you made -- not one that you had made for you -- so skip the engraving.

danroggensee

Thanks for all the ideas but this what i have come up with so far Sierra Click pen in Platinum and Zeprawood, or bloodwood. them i have another wood that i do not know what it is. and i can not figure out how to but a picture. on here yet. but i will.

Dannie

John Eberly

Dr. pen

Sierra click is a good choice. Easy to make, and health care professionsls really appreciate the one hand operation of a click pen.

Zebrawood is pretty hard and may be tougher to get a good turn and finish if this is your first pen.

Buy some extra tubes and practice making the barrel - you will for sure improve over your first effort.

Depending on your lathe skills, you can start with just a spindle gouge and several grades of sandpaper or use a sharp skew if you know the tool.

Be careful - this is more likely to cause addiction than prescription painkillers

S

spiritwoodturner

Guess what, Dannie. He couldn't give a flying rip about the type or quality of pen you make him. You find a simple kit (how about a Sierra?), make it with all the heart you can, and give it with gratitude, and thankfulness for your good helper.

By the way, I'm not that far from you, does your Doc make house calls? I broke my back (fusion) ripped my knee apart and broke my foot in 42 places in a plane crash. I could use a good pain Doc. What'd you have, facet injections? Know that if it helped, you are very lucky, because it's a low-percentage fix.

Best of luck,
Dale

danroggensee

to spritwoodturner I have know idea what the shots were it was through the va all i know is that as of right now iam pain free.

Dannie

danroggensee

Sierra click is a good choice. Easy to make, and health care professionsls really appreciate the one hand operation of a click pen.

Zebrawood is pretty hard and may be tougher to get a good turn and finish if this is your first pen.

Buy some extra tubes and practice making the barrel - you will for sure improve over your first effort.

Depending on your lathe skills, you can start with just a spindle gouge and several grades of sandpaper or use a sharp skew if you know the tool.

Be careful - this is more likely to cause addiction than prescription painkillers

Know this is not me first turn when i lived in the midwest i made custom fishing rods with wood handles and real seats. But out here in the desert the do not fish much so no call for rods. So thought i would try pens do care if i sell any or not just like to make them. I have made about 24 pens so far and have given them to friends and family for Xmas. so I guess i know my way around a lathe a little.

Dannie

jtrusselle

and don't forget the black ink cartridge... I'm making a pen for my chiropractor (actually letting him pick from a few different types) and he asked that it have the required black ink for his profession.

guts

Dannie,I think Dale is right,as long as he knows you made it he will appreciate it,kinda strange you posted this today because I just came from the pain Doc's office,Epidurals are Amazing pain relief methods,hope you have good luck with yours.

Top Bottom