Help! IE9 is killing me!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

Last weekend my computer spoke to me. "Bob," it said, "I want to upgrade to Internet Explorer 9". Knowing that it has to be smarter than me with all its Quad-Cores and Terabytes, I allowed it to do as it wanted, and IE9 was soon my new browser.

Well, it's been almost a week. If I could figure out how to undo that move, I would. My browsing speed has tanked. Websites that popped up the moment I clicked on them now take 20-30 seconds to appear. Even the photos in "Show Off Your Pens" take forever to enlarge. I couldn't find "Favorites" for hours, until I started clicking every icon on the screen, finally stumbling upon that little star in the corner of the screen. My tool bars are all gone. And worst of all my wife can't play multiple accounts at Club Bing, and has been screaming at me all week about it. (Yes, I know that is against the rules, but I love my new GPS.)

If anyone can tell me how to get rid of this monster (IE9, not the wife) please do. The usual means of removing programs through the Control Panel is no help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

srf1114

To uninstall Internet Explorer

The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

Click the Start button , type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.

Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

Click one of the following:

Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).

Note

After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If you open the Control Panel, click on Back up and Restore. You can then restore all settings from a restore point before your last update.
Then you can go to firefox.com and get a good browser.

IPD_Mr

FireFox is really the best way to go. Unfortunatelly because my customers still use IE, I find myself using it just to make sure that our websites function fully. Life would be so easy if everyone used FF.

In case you did not know FF is free. It also has bunches and bunches of plug-ins that can make your life so much easier.

Bobalu

To uninstall Internet Explorer

The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

Click the Start button , type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.

Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

Click one of the following:

Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).

Note

After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

Thank you for your helpful instructions. IE9 is now gone and I immediately saw an increase in browsing speed. I lost all those tool bars that added themselves to IE as I installed them, but no big loss. Goggle tool bar was about the only one I used with any regularity. :):):)

To everyone that suggested an alternative browser......thanks. I will check them out.:):):)

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
And Firefox is MUUUUCH faster, at least on my computer. I used to be a diehard fan of IE and would not change, regardless of how often people suggested it. Then I started having problems with IE and the software that runs the backend of my website. I started using Firefox just for my website editing and liked it so much, I ditched IE. Much happier now!

crabcreekind

PLEASE DITCH IE... it is horrible... Use Google chrome.. It does not have a crappy toolbar and it 100 times faster than ie. Firefox also works.

PenMan1

Firefox or Chrome could be your friend.

Firefox, maybe. Chrome doesn't work with a lot of sites I visit and after 2 hours with Intuit, the only way to get my Quickbooks Pro to work with reports was to uninstall chrome.

I just decided to stay with IE8, as it is Titianium Nitrate coated.

Bobalu

I've downloaded and installed Firefox as many of you suggested. I've only been using it for an hour, but I already like it a lot. :):):)

Per Andy's suggestion I kept IE8, even though I'm not a pro-anything. However, the wife claims I am a Pro-crastinator. :biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom