Help Identifying Old Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Trying to identify this tool for a friend. Before I post it on an old tool forum, I thought I'd ping the collective knowledge here.

The grooves starting at the pointy end are threads. The side hole in the hex end does not go through. There's a small hole in the big end that intersects that larger hole. I initially thought it was a plumb bob, as the hole in the end would accommodate a string. Any ideas?

IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

jttheclockman

I like the plug idea. My first thought was an easy out but wrong threads. The threads play a role so it is not a plumb bob. Is there any markings or serial number or name??

robutacion

Trying to identify this tool for a friend. Before I post it on an old tool forum, I thought I'd ping the collective knowledge here.

The grooves starting at the pointy end are threads. The side hole in the hex end does not go through. There's a small hole in the big end that intersects that larger hole. I initially thought it was a plumb bob, as the hole in the end would accommodate a string. Any ideas?

G'day Jeff,

In my old days, I recall seeing a tool like this one for splitting logs/wood, the hole is where a metal rod would be inserted to allow rotation of the tool. The tool was only used on logs that already were split, hammering this tool into that crack and then rotating it would open the crack until the wood would separate or close enough, sometimes the tool had to be inserted multiple time before the log would be totally split.

Sure, it could be used as a plug as suggested before but a plug does not require to be pointed something that we can clearly see on the pics, maybe very worn but visible.

I don't remember what it was called them so I have no idea of what can be called in English, further, searching may answer that question but as for its use, that's what I saw being used for.

Our days this improved tool is still being used in many countries, some motorized some not, its effectiveness also varies depending immensely on the exact shape and size of the new tool when made, some examples on YouTube clearly show the effectiveness/speed differences.

Sorry Jeff that I don't have the tool name, I hope what I said is helpful in some way...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Dehn0045

I'm thinking that it's too small to be a log splitter. The purpose of the holes is quite a mystery...

Dehn0045

I believe the hole is for a cross bar rod to twist it.

Typically the hole would go all the way through for something like that. With a hex head it could easily be twisted with a wrench. And then what is the purpose for the small hole in the end? Not saying that the large hole couldn't be used for twisting, it just doesn't quite add up for me.

pianomanpj

Typically the hole would go all the way through for something like that. With a hex head it could easily be twisted with a wrench. And then what is the purpose for the small hole in the end? Not saying that the large hole couldn't be used for twisting, it just doesn't quite add up for me.

The hole in the end could have been used for a metal rod or pole to push the splitter into the log. That would especially hold true if this was purely a manually-operated device.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Splitter was one of the things we guessed, but it seemed odd that the cross hole didn't go all the way through. Seems like putting a bar all the way through would make sense.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

The side hole isn't very worn, so I have considered that it wasn't there for a tommy bar to apply torque. The plumb bob idea initially seemed the best, because the string would have come into the hole in the end, and a knot tied and slipped back into the large hole. But the threads seem there for a reason...

MPVic

View attachment 181367

View attachment 181368

View attachment 181369
Could the big hole be for a rod to turn the "screw" into the material to be split - the small hole could be for a pin to hold the rod in place. Just a thought.

JohnU

Resembles an old blacksmith punch. The hole could have been for a handle to hold it upright while hitting the flat top.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I think John is close. Blacksmiths cone to make a hole in the billet. A pin fits in the small hole in the head to hold it perpendicular to the surface. Optional bar or wrench is used to turn the cone. Another uneducated guess. :biggrin:

Curly

If for a blacksmith it wouldn't have the tapered thread. It would be smooth.

Until something better comes along I'm with Sam's theory about a plug of some kind.

Jeff does it look like it may have been shortened at the hole end?

Dehn0045

The more that I think about it, the only thing that makes sense to me is that the holes were drilled to modify the part for something other than the originally intended use. I'm not really sure what that could be, but the fact that the large hole doesn't go all the way through is strange. Also, the large hole is not placed perfectly on the side of the hex, its slightly off center. Last, a large hole in the end and a small hole on the side would make more sense to me.

1080Wayne

May well be something other than a tool as Pete suggests . The 12-13 tpi threads are there for a purpose . They would have been lathe cut . The only practical uses I can think of for them would be to either screw the object into fairly thin sheet metal as a plug or fastener , or if a tool , as a way to remove it from a brass or bronze billet in which it had been used as a drift to form a cone shaped hole . The large hole in the side , even though slightly offset , would be consistent with use of a pin spanner to remove it from a hot billet . The small hole in the top would be for a small pin in a flat piece held by tongs to keep it centered while being hammered . That would explain no hammer blows showing on Jeff`s piece . Guess it could have been used in steel that way too , but don`t think thread longevity would be great .

Had to read M.T. Richardson `Practical blacksmithing`(1070 pages) to come up with that idea . Up to someone else to figure out a use for a 4 inch long tapered hole .

jttheclockman

will we ever know the answer to this mystery?? This could be a one of a kind tool used in a piece of machinery that someone made. They use to invent all kinds of weird tools.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The more that I think about it, the only thing that makes sense to me is that the holes were drilled to modify the part for something other than the originally intended use. I'm not really sure what that could be, but the fact that the large hole doesn't go all the way through is strange. Also, the large hole is not placed perfectly on the side of the hex, its slightly off center. Last, a large hole in the end and a small hole on the side would make more sense to me.

That's an interesting thought. Maybe someone needed a plumb bob and modified a tapered plug to work.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
If for a blacksmith it wouldn't have the tapered thread. It would be smooth.

Until something better comes along I'm with Sam's theory about a plug of some kind.

Jeff does it look like it may have been shortened at the hole end?

I don't think it was shortened. I'll take some better photos of the two holes in the end.

dogcatcher

It could have been a machine part in a manufacturing process or a part in some sort of farm machinery. If that is the case, it could be like trying to find out which machine a particular ball bearing came out of.

JohnU

I don't know about the hole, but I found this threaded plug for fixing metal pipes. Maybe it began as this.

Attachments

• B25EC402-A089-4D4D-9A12-6A6AA00B997C.jpg
    B25EC402-A089-4D4D-9A12-6A6AA00B997C.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 100

gdub

Google 'tapered thread spindle' and look at the images. From there I'd assume this piece is from an older machine with a unique chuck/attachment system.

dogcatcher

Google 'tapered thread spindle' and look at the images. From there I'd assume this piece is from an older machine with a unique chuck/attachment system.

The hole on the end looks too small for attaching to a motor shaft, and the large hole would need threading for a set screw to hold it in place/

Top Bottom