Help! I want to save my lizard skin!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I started working on this lizard skin blank tonight- if the shape looks familiar from what can be seen, yes Billy, I blatantly am copying your sierra shape (printed it out and everything for reference). Anyway, when I was just about done turning- I notice what looks like it's going to be a crack or something that's going to look wrong when I get done sanding. Anyone know of any way to fix this? I stopped sanding where I was, because I didn't want to get it down even further to where maybe nothing can be done.

There's also a very small similar area that seems to have developed at the other end of the blank- nothing like this showed up the whole time I was turning. Kind of hard to come up with an oops band that'll work on this- plus I'm getting kind of tired of making those- it seems like about half of the pens I've made recently have one on them- maybe I need to start calling that my style of pens?

200642153448_crackedlizard.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Angela, use thin CA to seal the crack, then thick to bring everything to the same height, level, etc. Let it dry for about 30 minutes and VERY carefully and gently skew it off. You should then be good to go.

Oh, and Angela, that looks nothing like my Sierra flair. [:p]

Skye

On a side note, your camera is either playing tricks on us or you have a bushing that is very out of round.

Oh, and before you use Billy's idea, <b>clean</b> with DNA or compressed air. Any grit from turning will be incased in the CA if you dont!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If it's what I think it is, that is called "shatter". It usually happens when trying to take off too much material at once or it can happen from a catch. The resin "shatters" like an automobile windshield, but does not blow out. Thin CA MAY help the appearance...but like Skye said, after cleaning it off with compressed air.

Skye

Whats your thoughts on her bushing? It's flush at top, but not at the bottom. Dont know if that's a result of the catch or if her bushings are out of round.

And am I the only one who didnt know Angboy was a woman? What's with the 'boy' part of Angboy?

Dario

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Whats your thoughts on her bushing? It's flush at top, but not at the bottom. Dont know if that's a result of the catch or if her bushings are out of round.

And am I the only one who didnt know Angboy was a woman? What's with the 'boy' part of Angboy?

"Ang" from "Angela" and the "boy" is from "Boykin" ...her last name

Skye

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, I've been looking at people's bushings when they show pics. I've got one out of round, so I'm a little hypersensitive to it...

It's seemingly more a chick name, I gotta do what I can to turn the tide, lol

ilikewood

Careful Skye, she is also a clinical psychologist. She will analyze you and then charge a Cocobolo blank for every 5 minutes.[:D]

BTW - Angela, I have seen this before and Lou described it very well.

angboy

Thanks for the info everybody- and also thanks for the laughs. Skye, I was busted a little while after joining the site, but I think I stayed undercover [:X] (under the assumption I was a man) for awhile. A few people posting on this thread were some of the ones who figured it out [8)] fairly quickly.

Anyway, I tried to work on this blank tonight and just couldn't seem to get it fixed- you could still see where the cracking was, and the CA glue seemed to leak under the clear whatever-the-stuff is that's over the skin. So, I'm going to try to just turn off the end and figure out something to put on.

I've decided that for the month of April, I'm crowning myself "queen of the oops band!" [:eek:)][:eek:)] I really think close to half of the pens I've done recently have them! [:D][:D]

Oh, and by the way, I'm thinking of changing my pricing structure and requesting payment in the form of pen blanks with religious figures in them, so everybody better hurry on over to ebay! [:D]

Fangar

Angela,

I think that a nice simple black acrylic oops band on either end of the blank will do the trick. Especially with the Sierra kit. I will blen nicely.

Fangar

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by angboy
<br />
I'm thinking of changing my pricing structure and requesting payment in the form of pen blanks with religious figures in them, so everybody better hurry on over to ebay! [:D]

I already have my bid in BUT you do realise that my "village" will now be short a member[:D][:eek:)]

On a serious note, if you wish to try Fangar's black acrylic oops band idea, I can gladly mail you a handful of CB's that may help. They are 1/2" od and 7mm id. Keep trying to revive your lizard and good luck.
-Peter-

2006422205620_MVC-003F.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom