Help I have done the unthinkable and need advice!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

Have you ever had one of those special one of a kind blanks and destroyed [edit in: not used to full potential] it. The pen in this picture is made from a cross cut crotch walnut blank with sap wood and heartwood.

2005943957_WalnutCrotchTwist2.jpg

My thinking was to have the sap wood transition to heart wood about half way up the bottom barrel, but when I turned it my calculations ended up being off. Also I decided not to use BLO on it to try and keep the sap wood light (usually I always use BLO of Walnut). I think this ended up being a mistake, and to make things worse I decided not to fill the grain on this (some times I do sometimes I don't), and in my opinion in needs to be filled. Also I just do not think it works well with this kit. I thought a one piece would work better on this than a pen with a cap, but on seeing it I am not sure.

The good news I have a couple more of these blanks! What kit do you think would work best with this? I am leaning to a cigar, but am not sure.

Usually I make slim line, cigar, Americana Twist, Americana Rollerball (snap caps) and Jr. Gents. I do have some El Grande's on order though.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Mike, for a "screw up" it still looks pretty good. Wait for the El Grande kits. They really display the wood, but the wood is very thin on an El Grande. The cigar is also a viable option. Good luck.

dubdrvrkev

I was think what you may have done...but it only looks like you made nice pen. If you don't like it just disassemble it and put it back on the lathe and CA it and fill the grain.
I'm thinking that it would look good on a cigar pen or modified SL maybe without a CB. On a pen with a postable cap one way or the other the fade would be lost depending on where the cap was posted.

Rifleman1776

Vick asked, "Have you ever had one of those special one of a kind blanks and destroyed it."
Answer, no. [:p] And I've never told a fib either. [}:)][;)]
If you turn, you make messtakes. Pen in question (that's PIQ for JimGo [:)] ) is still acceptable and to most people very nice. This group here is less forgiving. Even on Sunday. [:0]

Fred in NC

Mike, even when it did not turn out as you intended, it looks very nice, and I would leave it as is.

I have made many such missteaks myself ....

vick

Alright was being a little overly dramatic with the word "destroy", I am not going to be throwing this away after all. I would also never have complained about this publically if it was not for the positioning of where the sap wood, heart wood meets. I just do not think that this blank was used to any where near it's full potentail [:(!] .

I was going more for opinions on what kits to use for the other 2 blanks than anything else, so that I can make some thing truly speclaculiar. I agea with Kevin about a cap distracting from the fade. But was also thinking about using the fade to replace a centerband on the cap (light wood where centerband woulb usually be), but am unsure and hesitant to take such a chance with this blank.

Any idea's about design or kit choice for this wood is appreciated.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike without seeing the blanks it is tough to give you an opinion...
I base alot of my kit selection on looking at the blank and finding the grain, figure orientation that will look best...
Please post a pic of the blanks in at least 2 orientations and let us make a selection...

vick

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Mike without seeing the blanks it is tough to give you an opinion...
I base alot of my kit selection on looking at the blank and finding the grain, figure orientation that will look best...
Please post a pic of the blanks in at least 2 orientations and let us make a selection...

Here you go I the blanks are just about the same as the one used for the pen

200594152428_blank1.jpg
<br />

200594152442_blank2.jpg
<br />

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
OK, and please take into account these are strickly my opinions based on the type of kits that I like... yours and other opinions will most probably vary....
Starting with the blank on the right.. I think I would do either a Berea RT Euro or Perfect Fit using the top of the blank for the upper barrel. I think the sunray effect would be neat on the upper barrel fading to the darker walnut on the lower barrel..
Middle blank... Most likely the same thing done to the above blank
Left blank.... Most likely a cigar with the top of the blank as the upper barrel...
BUT... since these blanks appear to be about 8.5" long you will have about 3+" remaining from each blank that would make some nice Atlas pens... so you should be able to get 6 pens out of these blanks...
I would also sand the blanks to about 600 grit, wipe off the dust and then sand some BLO at 600 grit to fill the pores and bounce the figure a bit, wipe down with a dry paper towel, then burnish the blank with a piece of brown paper bag to smooth the blank and accelerate drying the BLO... Then let the blanks sit for a day or two to completely dry... and apply your finish of choice... if you are going to do a CA finish DO NOT add any additional BLO.. you may get fogging..

vick

Thanks Tom I appreciate the input. I have to admit I never seriously considered the sap wood on top, it is an interesting idea.
I was not planning on buying new kits for this, though I do want to add the Europeans to by aresenal.
---quote---------
Usually I make slim line, cigar, Americana Twist, Americana Rollerball (snap caps) and Jr. Gents. I do have some El Grande's on order though.
---end quote------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom