hello

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Fixit

Hello,
forum looks great, seems to be lots of good information. I've been turning pens for a while, mostly inexpensive slim lines for gifts. Now looking to move up to higher end pens.

Excited to be here.

Mr Fixit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome to IAP. Thanks for joining in and post some picts of your work. It seems to me that you may already have a metal lathe. Several people make their pens with a the metal lathe. And by the nature of your name, advancing to more complex and larger pens will not be so difficult.

As a welcome, I am including links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

Mr Fixit

Welcome to IAP. Thanks for joining in and post some picts of your work. It seems to me that you may already have a metal lathe. Several people make their pens with a the metal lathe. And by the nature of your name, advancing to more complex and larger pens will not be so difficult.

Thanks. Actually I don't have a metal lathe, but I dearly wish I did. I have used one many times, but I am by no means a machinist. And thanks for the compliment on moving up to more challenges.

I've been making pens for a couple of years as a matter of fact. Mostly slim lines with many different types of wood and 'plastics', bone, and antler. I've done inlays with epoxies, CA and 'colored dusts', and even Inlace inlay kits. We've (father, brother and I) played with making our own laminates in different patterns and materials and colors.

We've had a lot of fun and made a lot of pens, as well as some other turning projects.

I guess where I am now is I want to "move up" to higher quality pen kits and components. I want to take some of the experience I have gained over the last while, and use that to make some really nice quality pieces. I want to make something different, just like everyone else.:biggrin:

I am a bit under schooled on things like finishes. I've basically been using just a wax type finish, or sometimes CA. I'm not totally happy with the CA finish, I don't like to coat the wood. I'm wondering about things like a tung oil finish on the woods, or BLO.

I'm looking at getting into fountain pens and want quality parts.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! Glad I finally found this place.

Mr Fixit

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from N. California.

This isn't you, is it?
1290797104238847681.jpg

Top Bottom