Hello!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
My name is John and I'm in IN.
I've decided to give pen turning a try and found this website in the process of searching for information related to the subject.
I'm partially disabled and unable to work a full time job, so I work part-time in customer service. I will have a limited amount that I'll be able to spend on supplies, so I'll be looking for bargins and inexpensive kits to start out.
I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning what I can from the experienced pen turners.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lady_Acoma

Welcome John! There are tons of resources around here and it has been my experience that people are more than happy to answer questions of all types.

Terredax

Banned
They probably won't be so happy once I start asking questions. I'm sure I will have plenty of them, since I have never made a pen. I've been reading as much as I can, trying to learn, but it's quite confusing with all of the kits and accessories that seem to be needed. I need to figure out what I need to make a pen and all of the required accessories for each additional pen. I haven't found an all inclusive list of what is needed for each style of pen, but I assume some of the accessories can be used for different styles. I will eventually get it all figured out and get started with my new adventure.

Sabaharr

There is a thread on here on the essentials to get started and a really good one on "What would I do different if I knew then what I know now" or something like that. Those will give you a good idea of what you need. We all have our stack of "Essential" gadgets that we try once and drop in the lessons learned drawer. Try to avoid those. If you don't already have a drill press then drilling on the lathe is the way to go. Cost wise it may be a bit cheaper but the accuracy level is easier to achieve and maintain. It WILL be centered. There are a lot of little tips and tricks but the bottom line here is read all you can and ask all the questions you want. No one will get tired of them. Welcome to the addiction.

Charlie_W

John, Welcome from Virginia!

In the library here, ere is a penturning 101 section which will help.
Also, there are tons of penturning videos on YouTube.
Check out Exotic Blanks and their videos.
The book..The.Penturners Bible by Kleinhenz is excellent
Barry Gross also has a similar book as well as others.

Hope this helps.

Terredax

Banned
Thanks for the warm welcomes and the resources.
I will look into the different suggestions and I look forward to
turning my first pen.

Top Bottom