Hello Penfolk!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Geppetto

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in;* I live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US. I've been a hobbyist woodworker (mostly carving) for more decades than I would prefer to admit to. The screen name arose from an incident where a friend summoned me from an outdoor workshop. I wear a leather apron when I work and my well seasoned eyes require that I wear "readers" when I do close work. When I walked outside to talk to my friend, he laughed and said that I looked like Geppetto. The name sort of stuck. While I haven't made too many children's toys, my projects are like toys to me. I glean hours of enjoyment and tranquility from working on them.

I'm new to penturning. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. It appeals to my excessively meticulous tendency. The problem was that I didn't have the tools for it. One day I made a homemade lathe from an old drill and a washing machine motor and started turning pens. It ran true enough for me to make a few pens with it but It wasn't capable of variable speeds. That ended up causing me problems with the finishes. By then I was bitten and I ended up buying an inexpensive pen lathe. I've had it for less than a week.

I've been lurking on this site for some time and have gained lots of valuable information from the library and the forums. Inspired by my new purchase, I decided that it was time to join. I'm glad to be here and thanks to the Administrators and Active Members of this site for all of your efforts and insight.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glen r

Welcome aboard and don't be shy to ask questions as there is always someone who can give you the answer or answers if you prefer. Its then up to you to decide what you want to do.

Everyone was a new member at one time. Remember that turning is not a hobby, its an addiction.

ctubbs

I am so sorry for you, it is way too late to turn back now, you are addicted beyond any doubt. Welcome to the vortex from far west Kentucky. You have already found the library but have you also located the annual list of articles? They are also a great source of info. Always ask questions, the only 'dumb' one is the one not asked. Near the top of the library index is a list of acronyms commonly used here. Most are on the list and it may be worth printing. For now, grab some wood and make some shavings. For practice with finishing, there is no real need to use a tube, just turn the wood and apply the finish. If it is not to your liking, turn it more and do it again. Much better than wasting a $5 or $10 kit. Oh yes, grab a camera and post photos. Picts help explane much when a question arises. You will see the phrase, "No photo, didn't happen". Make yourself at home and join right in.
Charles

Top Bottom