Hello from Wichita Kansas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Howieem

Hello everyone. Like many of the newer members, I'm fairly new to pen turning (about 6 months), and like many, I'm hooked. I really like turning with wood, but also turn acrylic. I'd really like to turn laser cut blanks, but am concerned that I will destroy the blank, and they are slightly expensive. I hope to find some hints on how to ensure that I do the turning correctly. Looking forward to all of the information and assistance through IAP. Thanks for having me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glen r

I turn the laser blanks using a skew, very carefully of course. You can try and get acquainted with a skew by turning 2" x 2" construction lumber where a catch is just a notch that you remove as you progress. The other way to turn laser blanks is to go the sand paper route where no chisels are used. This is allot slower but you are guaranteed not to get a catch.
You must follow the instructions that are included with the blanks, especially the part that states to flood the blank with CA after the tube has been glued in. Let the blank absorb the glue for an hour or two and then begin your method of getting to the finished size. Hope this helps.

Docholiday

Welcome aboard, from a fellow Wichitan. I've never turned a laser cut blank, but I've done coffee bean and other delicate blanks. I agree with the "flood with CA" advice. Especially when you get It down close to size. Coat with a thin layer of CA (it will dry fairly quickly). Shave off a little more. Repeat. Go SHOCKS!

plano_harry

Welcome from Texas. Like Glen said, once the blank is covered with CA, it is pretty hard and will probably turn better than some raw burls. Just use lighter cuts than normal if you are worried. I have had blowouts, but never on a laser cut blank. Don't worry about it - it was in pieces when you got it!:tongue:

Top Bottom