Hello from Streator IL wood boards sourcing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Shifter

Hi all I'm getting back into pen turning etc.. I quit back in 2008 and I'm slowly getting some supplies together to start turning. just placed an order with PSI and now I'm looking for some wood to turn. I'd like to get boards and cut them down trying to be as frugal as I can and i'm looking for a supplier of exotics that is close to home that i can drive and pick up. If anyone knows of any close to me Streator, IL . Also if you can give an idea what I should be paying for the wood as I have no idea what i'm doing ATM. I am kinda amazed about how much stuff is available for this hobby now.

Thanks
Ralph

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Welcome Shifter. La Porte, IN isn't really that close to Streator--but i'm turning less pens these days and have both boards & cut blanks you may find interesting. If that's close enough, send me a PM or post in this thread and i'll reach out to you in PM.
Also...in your general area, there's a load of great pen turners--Mark Dreyer, John Underhill and others. Don't know where the Chicagoland chapter is currently meeting, but it is a great group!!
earl

d_bondi

Hello Ralph,

I know you said you are looking for a local source to buy boards and cut down. Sorry, I can't help with that.

But I do have another suggestion. Check out WoodShop G.A.S. on ebay. He is in Texas, sells by the individual blank and has many to choose from including domestics and exotics. You choose the species and size of blank. Shipping is reasonable and if you order enough it is free. He ships quickly and I have never been disappointed with the materials I have received. It is a great way to sample many different woods without buying a whole bunch of anything.

Once you sample the different woods, then maybe jump into buying by the board foot and cutting your own.

I hope this helps.

Legato_J

Hello Ralph,

I know you said you are looking for a local source to buy boards and cut down. Sorry, I can't help with that.

But I do have another suggestion. Check out WoodShop G.A.S. on ebay. He is in Texas, sells by the individual blank and has many to choose from including domestics and exotics. You choose the species and size of blank. Shipping is reasonable and if you order enough it is free. He ships quickly and I have never been disappointed with the materials I have received. It is a great way to sample many different woods without buying a whole bunch of anything.

Once you sample the different woods, then maybe jump into buying by the board foot and cutting your own.

I hope this helps.
Another option would be to look at cutting boards in a local store. For example, in my area, TJ Maxx, Trader Joes, Home Goods, etc. I picked up this olivewood one for $14 at Trader Joes last month. Able to get 13 blanks out of it.

Attachments

• Olivewood board.jpg
    Olivewood board.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 31

bugradx2

check out Exotic Blanks website, they have a ton of stuff for very nice prices. I've gotten a few things from local farm/estate sales too.

JohnU

Hi Ralph, Welcome from 10 miles north of you (rural south Ottawa). I would suggest checking with hard wood floor seller/installers about their scraps. Most of them are thrown in a burn pile and assorted hard woods 3/4" thick. You can cut between the grooves on the bottom for pen blanks.

sorcerertd

Welcome from NC! I can's speak to "normal" sources of wood in your area, but Home Goods (and other stores mentioned) is a great place to get cheap cutting boards.

Top Bottom