Hello from Northern Virginia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

madbh

Hi my name is Marjorie and I have been turning pens off and on for about 12 years on a mini lathe. I am getting back into it and still have a lot to learn. I just discovered acrylic and this web site. I am so excited about all I can learn here.

I have recently (sadly) inherited a full size lathe (size ?) and a lot of bowl blanks from my brother who taught me how to turn pens. I am afraid to attempt to turn anything larger than a pen and would love to find someone interested helping me get started. There are a lot of chucks and other small tools that I have no idea what they are for:confused:. I do have a drill press, table saw, 18" bandsaw, mitre saw and a jointer.

Any help or suggestions on where to begin would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corian king

Hello neighbor!!! Welcome aboard! I live in chesapeake myself.
There are plenty of super nice people here that are always willing to try and help out.
Good luck!!!
JIM

azamiryou

Welcome from not too far away (Silver Spring)! And please accept my sympathy on your loss.

Sounds like you've got plenty of folks to help you right in your area, but I wanted to make sure you know about The Woodworker's Club in Rockville. They have lots of helpful people and also offer various lessons and classes.

Longfellow

Welcome

Welcome from Sunny St Cloud, FL. Home of beautiful Florida wood.

Attachments

• IMG_5200 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5200 (Small).JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 100

ctubbs

Welcome Marjorie, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Getting_started_in_penturning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

madbh

Thank you Ken for stopping by today and helping me figure out what some of these things are for. I actually spent an hour or so playing with one of the blanks that was already attached to a small faceplate. I did not loose any fingers or toes so I guess I will continue learning.

Thank you Matthew. I used to live in Silver Spring and my brother was a constant patron at the Rockville Woodworkers Club. I think most of his tools came from there.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Last edited:

robutacion

G'day Marjorie and welcome from the land of the kangaroos...!:wink:

I'm glad that one of our members jumped in immediately to help you sort whats' what and give you a few hints. I would be doing the same if I was close...!

I'm certain that your brothers lathe and tools will be put to good use very soon, it will take a little time but will be worth it.

There is one thing tough that you need to be introduce to here in IAP, there is, the rule of "no pics, didn't happen...!", we all love pics, they are a great way to assist us to help you better...!:biggrin:

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom