hello from North Carolina

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sundance66

Greetings. I am new at turning but took a penturning course about a year ago. As kits and blanks cost money, I want to know where do you sell pens? Ebay, craft fairs ( if so where do I find/join them) or elsewhere?

Thanks. I am a LATE bloomer to turning but I am trying. Back when I had money I bought a jet mini and lately a Powermatic 3520B.

Advice is welcome as I have several videos and Rex and Kip's intro to penturning. look forward ro chatting with you fellas and even making a pen or two ( someday):)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithncsu

Welcome from just down the road! Rookie myself and just posted my first completed pen a few minutes ago. We have two local groups in Matthews, one for general turning and one for pens. You should check it out!

liljohn1368

Welcome from Mississippi, Brian.

As far as selling pens. I can't say. I've been in business for myself for 10 or so years now and I just added pens to my inventory.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Brian.

Sorry, but I can't help with your selling question either as this is just a hobby for me too.

lhowell

Welcome Brian! I too am in NC. So far I have only used Facebook and word of mouth to sell my pens and I have more orders than I can keep up with right now. I am currently creating a separate Facebook and Instagram page just for the pens to make it easier for people to view and see the variety to choose from versus scrolling through a lot of FB posts to find pen pictures.

I have looked into Etsy but have shied away from it just because of the fact it seems the site is saturated with pens (just search Etsy for pens and you will get thousands of hits). I haven't looked into Ebay or other sites either but I am currently trying to build up inventory for my first craft fair in November. I figured I would start there and see the response.

If I were you, I would reach out to some local knick-knack shops in the downtown Matthews/Charlotte areas to see if they would be interested in letting you put up a small display and giving them a percentage of the profits. I have been in talks recently with a local shop here in Apex that sells local handmade crafts and they seem fairly interested in starting out with ten or so pens to see how they do.

With all of the pens I sell, I had business cards with my contact information printed on them that I give out and that has also generated more business as well.

Hope this helps and welcome to the huge world of pen turning! It is a fun and rewarding hobby!

walshjp17

Welcome aboard, Brian. Come join us on the 14th for the Carolina Piedmont Penturners meeting. Details in the Local Chapters section above or drop me a PM.

Top Bottom