Hello from NJ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JoeOCNJ

Hello gang, I'm Joe.
I'm new at turning wood, I have been wanting to get involved with some type of woodworking, and at the current time this fit's my limited space and tight budget. I have successfully turned one pen to date (insert laughter here) I had some issues with using CA glue so now i have a few other type of glue to try out and am waiting for new blanks and tubes to come in the mail. I'll let ya know how I make out with the next round of attempts ;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USAFVET98

Welcome Joe from the Poconos (Jersey Transplant). I grew up in long branch and asbury park areas. Your in Ocean county? Anyway, enjoy the site and please dont hesitate to ask any questions you might have.

JoeOCNJ

Well, I ordered some random pen blanks from ebay, got 22 pieces for 12 bucks plus shipping, for me, im satisfied with them, i wont buy expensive stuff until I am a lot better at turning. I went out today and wiped all my tools down with acetone.. the problem I was having was in fact from too much CA glue. So after cleaning everything off, now I am trying 5min epoxy and Gorilla glue. I am liking them much better than straight CA glue to hold the tubes. I turned out one pen, but the finish really lacks a finish.. I plan on trying again, tomorrow or Monday (depending on when i can get to the store and grab some propane.. its chilly!!) I'll keep ya posted on my results..

Can someone suggest a reasonable place to buy pen kits and supplies from. I found one on the internet, but so far the order I placed 2 weeks before Christmas has slowly trickled in, 3 seperate packages... I don't wanna run into that problem again :)

JoeOCNJ

Ok, you like photos, this is a quick one i snapped with my phone... I also do photography as a hobby, so once I dig out my light tent I'll take some good pics for you guys. But for now this will have to do.. this is my 2nd pen. Funny story was that I had got the blank and the 7mm drill bit before the barrel trimmer, so I could glue in the tubes but had to wait. I drilled them out in my garage, and brought them inside to glue.. left them on a paper plate on the counter, they sat there for 2 or 3 days.. then the cat got curioius.. she knocked 1 half of the blank on the floor. Few weeks later.. my wife found it.. and so far, this is the best pen i've turned...

IMG_20110109_160315.jpg

PostalBob

Welcome to the best hobby you can find

Welcome to a great hobby. You are in for some great fun. Well not all fun but you will enjoy it. Ocean City residence myself Enjoy the ride.
Postalbob

Top Bottom