Hello from Montgomery, Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vbritt

Hello everyone, my name is Virgil and I know absolutely nothing about making pens, bowls, or turning wood for that matter. I am retired so I have lots of time and would like to learn the art of pen making, along with owning, operating, and maintaining a lathe and tools. I had no idea that it would take such an investment just to get started.

I have read lots of suggestions and talked to a number of people about which lathe to buy and each person had their own preference. I am not even sure that I will like this hobby so I did not want to invest a fortune up front.

I ended up buying a Jet JWL-1236 clone from Harbor Freight (Central Machinery T34706) after reading enough reviews from people saying that it was a good beginner's lathe. Some people even stated that you could buy parts for the lathe from Jet and after carefully looking at the exploded diagram it looks like they are one and the same. The differences I noticed are that the HF 34706 has a 25mm tool rest and Jet has a 1" tool rest and the bed isn't finished as well. However, the head stock and the tail stock line up perfectly and the machine runs very quiet so for now I am satisfied with my purchase. It certainly leaves me with extra cash so that I can invest in some quality tools.

I look forward to learning all that I can from each and every one of you guys.

Virgil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

Welcome from Central Texas. I hear that is a good lathe also. Wish you all the best in your journey through penmaking.

Ray

seamus7227

Welcome to the group from Wichita falls, Tx!! Stop now before the vortex sucks you into it!!! It will also save you thousands $$$$$:biggrin::biggrin:

The best part about penmaking is that it is fun! It can be very enjoyable and there is so much you can make with your lathe besides pens as well!!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Alvin.
In case you haven't found them yet, there is a Rockler & 2 Woodcraft stores in Houston. One of the Woodcraft stores is only 35 miles from you. Some of their pen kits are on sale right now & they sometimes have demos & classes.
There's also a number of us fellow turners in the greater Houston area.

Kenny Durrant

If you ever make it up the East Dalls area I can show you several things not to do and maybe a few things to do. I'd be glad to give you a quick demo. Have Fun but be careful it is very addicting.

Big

Welcome to the group from another "Newbie" to wood turning and pen making from Pensacola, FL. You will not find a better group of people anywhere. The folks here are absolutely the best and never cease to amaze with their help and brilliant creations. Saddle up, you are in for the ride of a lifetime.

BarryW

Welcome!! My Name is Barry and I live in the Huntsville Texas area. May I suggest that you try attending one of the "Lone Star Woodturners" meetings held the 4th Saturday of each month at the Woodcraft store in Spring, Texas...just on the west side of I45 on FM1960. Meetings start at 8:00am and run till around noon. Coffee and cookies...show and tell and a great group of people!! We usually have a demo and you will get LOTS of advice.. :)

Travis Fry

Welcome from Katy, and from Equatorial Guinea, West Africa (I'm there right now on business). You have me intrigued with your lathe. I might have to look into one of those.

Top Bottom