Hello from Missouri.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ejames

Hi folks. I'm Ed and I'm a 63 YO retired construction worker. I have never turned a pen, and know absolutely nothing about the process-other than making square pieces into round ones.
My other hobbies have kinda led me here. I restore and make smoking pipes and pipe tampers. I also collect pipes,mainly Dr.Grabows and have a couple hundred scattered around my house and shop.
While looking for materials and tooling for my tampers I kept running across all these parts and materials for pens and also saw more than a few beautiful examples of pens. Since I use a lot of pen blanks to make the tampers and turn them in my lathe I thought it might be fun to try my hand at the pens.
I plan to do a lot of reading here to hopefully figure what is needed--and how to do it. May also have a question or two!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Ed - From Ohio.

Well... You can turn square things round... :eek::):eek: You have more skills that I had upon starting pen turning!

Welcome...and enjoy!

Marnat3

Welcome Ed , from Minnesota. This place can teach you just about everything. I just started this madness myself and I am loving every minute of it.

Jim Burr

Banned
Welcome Ed!! We gotta talk...really want to have a hand at pipe making!! There are some great vid's on Youtube about pen making...just to whet your whistle and give you an idea of what's what.

ironman123

Welcome from Central Texas Ed. I smoked a Dr Garbow pipe when I was young and more of an idiot than I am now.
Enjoy your stay at IAP.

Ray

Ejames

Thanks Gents! Steve, I'm at the other side of the state-Poplar Bluff.

Jim Burr,always glad to talk pipe making! There is a ton of vidoes on youtube about it also. There is a pipemakers forum also.

I hope to try making pens soon. Gotta figure out what I need for tooling etc and get it bought. I do quite a bit of pipe restoration for other folks and plan to cut back on that. It takes up to much of my time and I can't do the things I want.

Top Bottom