Hello from MA :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dnight

Hi folks, I just recently joined. I'm 45, living in Medford, MA, USA. Work in IT, and needed a non-IT outlet for my spare time.

I'm currently on my weird learning process (I take on more than I know how to do and figure it out on the fly) and am having a lot of fun so far. An example:

I haven't touched a lathe in 30 years and that was a metal lathe, but UPS and closing my eyes when I clicked the buy buttons outfitted me with a basic setup, and now I'm in the bits-n-pieces accumulation phase. I even managed to get an old fridge to dry wood I haven't acquired yet :)

I've made several pens, and gave them to people that commented on them, seemed to make them happy.

Currently crushing up chunks of malachite and turquoise with a pipe and mallet ( I learned that here, thankyouverymuch! ) for a future inlay idea I have. If it pans out I'll post pictures.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a lead on a set of small graduated screens to grade out crushed stone? I've found some from lab equipment providers but they were a bit pricey.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Califo

Welcome. I live in Wilmington, MA. Took on Penturning to get my mind off the office. Enjoy the hobbie!

greggas

welcome from a neighbor....careful when crushing malachite...some bad stuff in there...hope you are wearing a respirator

greg

duncsuss

Another welcome from Wilmington, MA ... :biggrin:

If you're planning to visit the Topsfield Fair, be sure to check out the Association of Revolutionary Turners booth. We're giving demonstrations and talking to anyone who'll listen to us. (Across from the Furniture Institute of Massachusetts, and next door to the blacksmith.)

I'll be there Sunday and Monday, and again on Columbus Day.

Top Bottom