Hello from East Tennessee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hillbilly007

My name is Gary Watkins and I'm 57 years old. I'm currently on disability and I can't get around very much OR very fast, LOL. Sometimes I feel like I am in a prison and I am about to go crazy. I am looking for a hobby and I was able to turn a free pen for VA day at the local Woodcraft store here in Johnson City, TN. Needless to say, I am HOOKED! I am not sure if I should get new equipment or used. Any info would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello from down south...in Knoxville. Gary, if you really think you are going to stick with this, then get the best you can afford. Used is fine as long as it is in good shape. Look forward seeing you here on the forums.

longbeard

Welcome from WV
The craziness has only just begun :biggrin:
Also, if your looking to buy a lathe, look at the ones that will let you sit while turning if you have trouble standing for any length of time.

Last edited:

JohnR06

Welcome from Knoxville. You're into a fun new "addiction". As far as equipment, get what you can afford and think you'll make good use of. I got a new lathe from Harbor Freight about 9 months ago... and its doing fine. Hadn't turned anything since high school shop class so I didn't want to spend a lot. You can still make some nice pens with it!

Hillbilly007

Well, to say that I am confused is a HUGE understatement. I've got $1,100.00 to try to get started with a lathe, finishing supplies, kits and blanks. I've read everything that I can about different manufacturers and brands of lathes, and I still don't know what I should get. I know that good things are seldom cheap and that cheap things are seldom good, but I don't know what is cheap and what is good to start with. I guess I'll keep looking and reading before I make a decision. Thanks for all of the replies so far.

Top Bottom