Hello from Calgary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gloon

Hey everyone,

I've been reading the forum obsessively for a few months now so I figured I should probably join. I've been turning for almost a year now after falling in love with it a long time ago during shop class in high school.
So far I've managed to make a few kit pens I'm pretty happy with but decided I want to make the plunge to Kitless pens, so I'm sure I'll have some questions soon!
Thanks to everyone here for being so willing to help each other out!
-Glenn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rockb

Hey Glenn, ever hear of a little town called Peace River?...a few hundred miles north of you..lived up there a few years. Loved it. Glad you found IAP. Lots of good knowledgeable guys here plus lots of wood too. Rocky

Gloon

Thank you for the warm welcome.
Here are a couple of items.
The pen is a baron Rollerball which my wife has been using for several months now.
The bowl was my first attempt at anything not a pen so although I do like the shape and dimensions there are a lot of tool marks and tear out that I may try to repair one of these days.

Attachments

• 20150120_113947.jpg
    20150120_113947.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 20150120_114011.jpg
    20150120_114011.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 20150120_113954.jpg
    20150120_113954.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 85

Gloon

Hey Glenn, ever hear of a little town called Peace River?...a few hundred miles north of you..lived up there a few years. Loved it. Glad you found IAP. Lots of good knowledgeable guys here plus lots of wood too. Rocky

I've heard of it but never really been in the vicinity though. Lots of small towns in Alberta that I would love to explore.

VE5MDH

Welcome Glenn (your next door neighbour to the East).

As a totally Greenie here, could you (or someone else here at IAP) explain just what is a Kitless Pen? I haven't come across this idea yet.

Michael

Gloon

Welcome Glenn (your next door neighbour to the East).

As a totally Greenie here, could you (or someone else here at IAP) explain just what is a Kitless Pen? I haven't come across this idea yet.

Michael

A Kitless pen would be one where you don't use a pen kit. In my case I will be starting with making fountain pens. I will purchase nibs and feed units (some very talented people even make these themselves). The rest of the parts (cap, section to hold nib, body) are all turned and threaded rather than having premade components to press into the pen. There are some tutorial in the library and YouTube videos showing how to make these.

Top Bottom