Hello, and a question or 2.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluesFan

I've been lurking for just a short while.

Got myself a Jet Mini for Christmas and am learning.

Spent a hundred bucks at Arizona Silhouette and a few more at Woodcraft. Really like making pens but it is frustrating.

I decided to save some money and bought a 2x2x12 of bloodwood and another of yellowheart.

Makes nice stuff, but I keep leaving black in the grain of the yellowheart.

I am sanding with auto wet dry through 400 and the micromesh through 12000.

Any ideas about what to do?

Also, how common is it to find different slimliine kits needing differetn bushings? I am having trouble getting a good fit.

Thanks

R

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Robert, I have a couple questions:

1. Are you using the sandpaper wet or dry?

2. The sandpaper (not the MM) what size do you cut it to? Do you fold it?

jwoodwright

The black is the Carborundum grit from the paper. You can use any number of agents to wipe off the blanks after each grit change. All depends on your final finish. Denatured Alcohol is good, dries immediately and shows scratches as well as cleaning grit off...[8D]

KKingery

Ditto the above - I fought the same problem when I started turning. I have totally gone away from the "auto" type papers, and stick with good quality wood papers and MM. Problem solved (at least for me!)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hi Robert. I'm hoping this Bluesman can help this Blues Fan! The answer to the black in your grain has been given. Wiping with de-natured alcohol should do it. Sometimes I even use compressed air on the blanks. See what works best for you. As for the bushings, they are meant to give you a good approximation. Many of us use micrometers or calipers for final fitting. It saves the frustration when you are assembling pens. (FYI, I'n not a fan of auto wet/dry as what I found had a back backing that kept showing up on lighter woods. I prefer a good quality sandpaper for wood.)

Gary

I'm glad to see you posting again as DCBLUESMAN...it's a handle that's almost a fixture at this forum. [;)]

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Hi Robert. I'm hoping this Bluesman can help this Blues Fan! The answer to the black in your grain has been given. Wiping with de-natured...

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, Gary (and Anthony on another post). It's funny, I didn't think I'd miss it. I'm DCBluesman on forums and emails and have been for a decade. I did miss it. I got a call from a dear friend, Keb' Mo' (one FABULOUS bluesman in his own right) on Thursday night. I listened to all of his CD's again and voila! the DCBluesman came back...for good!

its_virgil

The real Lou is back! Welcome DCBluesman. I too missed that handle and although we knew Lou was the DCBlueslman, it just wasn't the same.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

BluesFan

Thanks,

As soon as I replace my tool rest, another story, I'll try the denatured alcohol.

Plus that'll give me a chance to find some finer grit wood papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom