Helix Rollerball/Bolivian Rosewood burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mack C.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I don't post pics of my pens here very often. They are mostly made up of mundane pen hardware with a nice blank turned for them. Nothing out of the ordinary as some of the pens I've viewed here.

Anyway here goes!
attachment.php

attachment.php

I was questioned with respect to my finishing protocol on a woodworking forum I visit. In case it is of interest to some here:

1. Sand parallel to the ways with 600 grit AO paper.
2. Depending on the hardness of the wood, I may buff parallel to the ways with 0000 unoiled steel wool.
3. Then a good spritz with CA accelerant to clean the burl/wood. Let that sit & dry for 10 - 15 mins. I have a fan blowing on the blank.
4. About 6 - 8 coats thin CA (no accelarator) using a blue shop towel. Takes less than 10 mins. Let sit overnight to cure and off gas.
5. Next day, I sand very lightly with used 600 grit AO sandpaper to remove any CA ridges which might have occured.
6. Then on to the buffer using Formax 515-6163 P22 Plastic Glo (Ultra-fine, Dry) buffing compound, followed by Formax 515-6165 P112 Plasic Compound (Extra-fine). Strangely the Ultra-fine is more coarse than the Extra-fine.

That's it in a nutshell. I may apply wax on my buffer

Attachments

• DWC May 2013 (Small).jpg
    DWC May 2013 (Small).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 544
  • DWC May 2013 (1) (Small).jpg
    DWC May 2013 (1) (Small).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 529
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom D

Really nice pen Mack, I like the finish, it is amazing how many different ways there is to come out with approximitaly the same finish.

Top Bottom