Have you tried orange and violet dye with Cactus Juice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VotTak

Hi,
Interested to know whether you tried orange and/or violet dye(from Alumilite) with Cactus Juice? The reason for asking is that I saw that sometimes there is a discussion whether particle size of dye which is in cactus juice will penetrate through wood or be filtered by it. Also interested to know whether other colors of dyes were used in stabilization. Dyes from Alumilite or from other companies.
Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
This is what Curtis (mesquiteman) says on his website:

"Coloring Cactus Juice

Cactus Juice can be dyed when you want to add some color to the wood. I have tried various different dyes and have had the best success with Alumilite reactive dyes. They are very concentrated and produce nice, vivid colors that mix and work well with the Juice. Some dyes such as Transtint can be used in small amounts but if you add too much, it can affect the way the Juice cures. With Alumilite dyes, I have not had any issues with it affecting the cure of the Juice. These dyes are available on my website or direct from Alumilite.com. Be sure to use more dye than you think you need!"

VotTak

Mike, thanks for pointing it out. Will try them. Coz I only tried those which were available on Curtis website.
George, thanks for this tip on dye quantity. I used smaller amounts. I guess I have to be more generous on dye.

Wondering whether anyone has used fluorescent dyes

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Yes the violet and the orange will work just fine wit the Juice. The florescents will not. I am adding violet and orange as soon as finish rebuilding my website. Have not offered them before since it is easy to make both with the colors I do offer.

VotTak

Thanks Curtis. Actually I wanted to contact you in regards of that question. The reason was that I tried your CJ with only dyes from your site. And because my small experiment went very good(I was following your instructions) I did not want to go for something which is absent on your website.
Finally I decided not bother you with questions and distract you with my little problems.
Anyway, I appreciate your response here. Looks like more orders for CJ will come coz I'm hooked to that

nx95240

Yes the violet and the orange will work just fine wit the Juice. The florescents will not. I am adding violet and orange as soon as finish rebuilding my website. Have not offered them before since it is easy to make both with the colors I do offer.

you saying donot use the FLO colors with the juice?? thanks brian

Top Bottom