Has anyone tried this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

They show two jugs, but reading makes it sound like they are half gallon jugs. So $60 for a gallon of resin if they are half gallon jugs. That's a pretty big premium over PR.

I also wonder how it would stand up to UV over time. You wouldn't want your pens turning yellow / discoloring. I think some of the new epoxy resins are UV resistant, but I don't know for sure. I did some epoxy inlays a couple of years ago and they didn't stand up to the light.

I was recently looking at some UV cure epoxy resin. These seem to be getting popular with surfboard makers. A UV cure instead of a hardener would have a lot of advantages, but it will only work with translucent (or clear) resin. Not opaque. If you want to experiment, maybe this would be something fun to try.

Ed

PTsideshow

I haven't used it for pens and it has been a couple of years since I used it. Here is a place that has the full line of the products and you can see you can get smaller bottles to play with Hobby Lobby sells it.
Castin Craft Doris and her Daughter are good people to deal with I use to buy the bird toy stuff there for years.
Here is the companies site and all their products along with the MSDS.
Consumer Products | Environmental Technology Inc
:clown:

Russianwolf

tried it. don't like it. The big problem is when you turn or sand it, it softens and gets gummy. If you freeze it and keep it cool, it's fine.

I switch to West Systems Epoxy 105 with the 207 (Clear) hardener, Does a much better job, with the longer open time I wanted and stays hard. Also it doesn't melt some of the things I play with like PR will. It's more pricey though.

alamocdc

tried it. don't like it. The big problem is when you turn or sand it, it softens and gets gummy. If you freeze it and keep it cool, it's fine.

Hmmm, I suspect that is due to heat, but it supposed to be temperature resistant to over 300 degrees.

I just saw it on Amazon and thought I'd ask.

areaman

I haven't used the big bottles it is showing, but have used the small can. Got it from Hobby Lobby and had no problems working with it.

Top Bottom