Has anyone tried Mineral Oil with CA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I use Mineral Oil to finish anything that will contact food.

Just thinking...I wonder if I could use mineral oil with CA finish on lighter wood? I was specifically thinking about Holly. I dislike using BLO on holly, bacause in yellows the wood.

Has anyone tried mineral oil? I will try it as some point, just thought I would ask here.

Thanks.

Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Tim , try Teak Oil instead of BLO . It don't yellow the wood anywhere as much as the BLO and it works fine with CA . I'm not sure how well the mineral oil would mix with the CA .

bradh

You could try, but I don't think it will work. Mineral oil and all mineral based oils do not dry. Vegetable or plant based oils like BLO, Tung oil, sunflower oil, and walnut oil; will dry.
If you are worried about the colour change with BLO, finish with just CA instead.

Texatdurango

I know this is not directly answering your question but if I were concerned with the BLO changing the color of the wood, I would just use CA by itself. I use CA by itself about 98% of the time and CA/BLO the other 2%.

bitshird

I was told by a very respected turner that on light colored wood to use Pure Tung Oil, as it won't alter the color of some of the lighter colored wood, I'm not going to drop any names but his Initials are Keith Larrett.:rolleyes: and he's done a few OK pens:biggrin:. Something about the stuff that is pure, isn't processed an have drying agents added so it won't yellow the wood.

THarvey

Thanks everyone. The Mineral Oil was just a thought, because it is sitting on my bench.

It did not dawn on me that Mineral Oil never dries. DUH!! If it doesn't dry, neither will the CA.

I have used CA by itself, with mixed results. I have not tried Tung oil or Teak oil. Thanks for the tips.

Top Bottom