Has anyone successfully disassembled a Vertex Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I don't usually make click pens.....but when I do, they don't sell for crap:biggrin:

I have about a dozen Vertex clicks and Manhattan clicks that have been in inventory for about 6 months.

Is there any way to make a disassembly "jig" or do you just toss the entire pen.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

It would seem like you could just use a 10 inch long copper tube just smaller that the ID of the Vertex or Manhattan tube and not FUBAR the click mechanism....but, so far, no happy ending.

Next try is drilling out a dowel... OH BOY!

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Andy, with your clients what ever were you thinking:wink:, don't throw them away just give them to each of your customers that buys and has a child with them.

Dan Masshardt

If the tube isn't going to be reused, why not remove the refill and cut completely through one of the tubes so you can get better access to figure out a jig?

I pounded a manhattan (first one) apart with a punch in a fit of frustration. Didn't work out well.

On a completely unrelated note, if anyone has a manhattan kit for sale, let me know. :p

I've made some different click pens. The only ones I like are the aero click and the long clicker.

PenMan1

ROTFLMAO! Roy, as usual, your comments are on point! Second home real estate has been ON FIRE here. So, I activated my RE license and I give pens to my clients at closing to sign for their new resort home.

The IRS allows a $25 deduction for "closing gifts". I was making a $5 pen and charging myself $35 and THEN showing a $35 sale for the pen company and deducting the $25 from the Little Real Estate Company.

YOU ARE RIGHT! WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING! I could STEAL the pen from the Write Stuff (take the shrinkage and damage deduction) and STILL take the $25 deduction from my real estate company!

I gotta stop stealing like a "small fry" AND START STEALING LIKE A CONGRESSMAN:)

healeydays

ROTFLMAO! Roy, as usual, your comments are on point! Second home real estate has been ON FIRE here. So, I activated my RE license and I give pens to my clients at closing to sign for their new resort home.

Smart move and you can even use some of those ink cartridges that just don't last as they will only use the pen once and will then have it framed and displayed as the pen that signed the mortgage docs just like a Presidential proclamation...

johncrane

Andy i have pulled them apart i posted photos on page 6 in Penturning called Click Mechanism an inside view
Andy it's easy to remove the clicker end 1) undo nib, 2) put a 19/64 or 7.5mm steel punch inside pen body, 3) put a small bit of cardboard under the clip so it don't scratch the body, 4) wrap the body with rubber grip matt 5)hold the punch firm against clicker end, now with the other hand grip the matt and pen,now hit the punch up against a steel block, a med blow will easy remove clicker. Another way using a 6mm punch push it up into plastic clicker part the CLICKER BUTTON MUST BE IN THE UP POSITION NOT DOWN, IF IT'S DOWN IT WILL SMASHED THE CLICK PARTS.YOU COULD DRILL A HOLE INTO THE PUNCH TO ACCOMMODATE THE PUSHING PIN I HAVE MADE THE TOOL SHOWN ON PAGE 6.IN PENTURNING. the photos posted are using smaller punches, the other size punches are also ok using them you don't have to worry if the clicker is up or down, Another thing The Vertex plastic parts will not past thru the threaded nib bush this is why i do it like this.sorry for the long thread.the other pen is easy undo nib,undo the clicker button anticlockwise ,then push the plastic click parts out thru nib end,next use a neat fitting punch to pop off click mech part using the same way with grip mat,steel block or you can use plastic cutting board to hit the punch on works fine.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_0449.JPG
    1-IMG_0449.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 2-IMG_0450.JPG
    2-IMG_0450.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 3-IMG_0513.JPG
    3-IMG_0513.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

yorkie

I make a ton of vertex and manhattans and they always sell very well indeed; I sell them for around $60-$90.

It could be the combination of materials you are using/color & finish. I've been carrying a Manhattan for a year and I am very hard on pens, I fidget a lot, but it still works perfectly.

BTW, you will not be able to dismantle either without busting the plastic clicker mechanism.

If you have some vertes and manhattan kits you don't want anymore, I'll buy them from you.

Seriously, I sell a ton of those two pen styles specifically. Check out my pen posts and see what I'm putting on the barrels.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
And the IRS and the other internet spies are on the way to your house!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::biggrin: You got that part about stealing like a Congressman right, though!!! :highfive:

The IRS allows a $25 deduction for "closing gifts". I was making a $5 pen and charging myself $35 and THEN showing a $35 sale for the pen company and deducting the $25 from the Little Real Estate Company.

YOU ARE RIGHT! WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING! I could STEAL the pen from the Write Stuff (take the shrinkage and damage deduction) and STILL take the $25 deduction from my real estate company!

I gotta stop stealing like a "small fry" AND START STEALING LIKE A CONGRESSMAN:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom