Has anyone made a wax stamp for letters?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TowMater

TowMater

I have a customer that wants a custom stamp made for letters, like the old times where letters were sealed with wax.

Anyone made anything like this??

Can I get a bit of guidance??

Todd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Well, are you planning on making these from wood? If so, you're going to have to CA finish it or something because that wax is going to adhere to the wood like velcro.

I'd get some black corian, (brass would be cooler!) turn it round with a long tennon on it. Turn a handle from some nice wood, glue and insert the tennon. Draw the letter on the corian (or brass) backwards, use a dremmel to route out the stamp.

That's just my guess because I've never heard of someone making one. :)

Think pipe tamper, but with a little custom engraving on the bottom of the foot.

Chasper

Find a custom rubber stamp maker, it shouldn't cost more than $5 for an unmounted stamp with that you can mount yourself on the end of a handle that you make. You would be able to get a wide range of fonts with plenty of decorative flourishes for no additional.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I have a customer that wants a custom stamp made for letters, like the old times where letters were sealed with wax.

Anyone made anything like this??

Can I get a bit of guidance??

Todd

Do they want the stamp itself turned and engraved, or do they want a brass stamp with a custom handle?

There are a few companies that make brass stamps for this purpose, only one that I know of in the UK makes laser etched custom stamps to your artwork. There are a few US companies they have a large array of choices including initials added to stock artwork. If this is what they have in mind, I'll try to dredge up a few links.

nava1uni

I use wax seals and they should be made out of metal or something that is heat resistant. I also work with rubber stamps and they will not hold up to the repeated exposure to the heat. The wax is not really wax, but a stiffer material that melts and has a wick down the center. the wick is lit with a match and allowed to melt and dripped onto the back of the envelope. It is very hot, enough to cause a good blister. I know from experience. I would buy a brass rod, engrave it with a dremel or foredom and then turn a handle for it from wood. I am not sure that the corian wouldn't be damaged over time by the heat. Shouldn't be hard to make, just remember that the letter should be a reverse so that when it is used the letter is indented in the wax.

Last edited:

TowMater

I'm afraid the engraving will have to be sent out on the head and I will just turn the handle. She is from Hawaii and wants her family crest on her letter seal.

Thanks for all replies so far!

YoYoSpin

Here's a couple I made from buttons a while back:

Attachments

• WaxSeals_1.jpg
    WaxSeals_1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 102

randyrls

I still have one from my "hippy" days. The hippy days are long gone, but I kept the seal. It has my initial "S" on it. It's some kind of metal, maybe brass.

Chris Bar

Don't know if this will help, but in Japan, engineers signed their documents* with little wooden cylindrical stamps that show Japanese symbols specific to them. These stamps were readily available in the markets and stores. Perhaps you can find one or order one to suit on the web. (* they did back in '72 when I worked there for a while, so I assume they still do)

Top Bottom