Has anyone done a comparison of acrylics?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I found a video on youtube that someone did a comparison of acrylics.
I was wondering if anyone here did something similar.

Like, how the turning qualities compare between the different types of plastics out there for pen blanks.
If it has been done, do you have a like for it?

Thanks for any info.

Here's the link for the video I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97d3yHdR-Go

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A couple of observations about the information in that video:
1) "Blow out" is far more likely with a larger hole. So, the presenter should recognize that with a 7 mm hole in what looks like a 3/4" blank--things SHOULD go well. I always recommend drilling, but not exiting from the blank, then cut off the end. It is not always necessary, but it will ALWAYS succeed without 'blowing out" your blank.

2) CA adhesion: I made all my pens with CA, usually EZBond (frugal is good). RARELY had one come loose--rotate the blank, push tube in and out, use thick CA, allow to cure overnight and voila!!! Perhaps old glue is causing his failures??

I suggest starting with acrylic acetate--in my opinion, it is the easiest plastic to master. Also, what tool you use will make a difference. If you are comfortable with a roughing gouge, it is probably the easiest tool to use to make a square blank round.

After they are round, any tool can work well.

Hope this helps,

Ed

Charlie_W

I wonder how he would rate the inlace acrylester blanks?

Totally agree with Ed's comments here. For folks who have not turned acrylics, this video should help. Some of us do take our finishing steps further to achieve our desired level of workmanship.

The gentleman does seem well prepared and his verbal presentation was delivered well. Video also is nicely done.

eharri446

I have turned Acrylic Acetate and Inlace Acrylester blanks and find that the Inlace blanks are more difficult to turn when you first start out. They have a tendency to be more brittle and that can cause some massive chip outs if you do not take your time and make fine cuts. However, once you learn to turn it, the blanks can be stunning. I just turned three Wall Street II using Inlace blanks and they came out gorgeous.

Charlie_W

I have turned Acrylic Acetate and Inlace Acrylester blanks and find that the Inlace blanks are more difficult to turn when you first start out. They have a tendency to be more brittle and that can cause some massive chip outs if you do not take your time and make fine cuts. However, once you learn to turn it, the blanks can be stunning. I just turned three Wall Street II using Inlace blanks and they came out gorgeous.

Yup, Exactly. I turned an ice cream scoop handle with some and likewise, beautiful coloring and brilliant shine when buffed.

mmayo

I have posted several times lamenting the difficulty with your inlace acrylester. A post may have changed that. The suggestion was to turn both end first. I tried it with great success. I will do this from now in and perhaps have to rethink using this material.

mecompco

I've watched that original YouTube video and though it was informative. Really, if I see a blank I like, I'm going to try turning it. You learn pretty quickly the approach to take for different materials.

Really about the only thing I've found is to figure out how aggressive you can be with the various acrylics. From Alumilite where you can pretty much cut as hard as you want, to IA on the other end of the spectrum where you need light cuts. And being darned careful not to hit an end of the blank is good advice for any acrylic blank.

If you're getting chip outs with IA, usually it's a sign that you are being too aggressive. If you're getting down to the final diameter, and a blank is still chippy, stop and switch to paper. I've found I don't have to do this much anymore--perhaps its something that comes with experience.

Regards,
Michael

mmayo

I believe they are acrylic acetate mostly. It is relatively easy to turn and very easy to polish using micromesh wet sanding and a plastic polish for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom