Has any one tried these Guitar pic sheets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edward Cypher

I was lurking around the internet and found this and it looked to be a good buy. Compared to what I have seen at the woodstores for pic material.

Here is the link to the solid color sheets: Amazon.com: Pick-A-Palooza Guitar Pick Pack Plastic Strips For Custom Guitar Pick Maker Make Your Own Guitar Picks Punch Custom Guitar Picks From Plastic Guitar Pick Sheets Use With Any Guitar Pick Cutter or Pick Puncher Guaranteed To Be 100% Fun!: M

Just curious if anyone has tried these. Says the package will do 100 pics which would probably equate to 100 pen segment pieces. I think I may have to order some just to check them out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What we usually use is "pick-guard"--it is usually three layers laminated together. Most frequently, white-black-white or reverse.

What the link is selling appears to be pick making material--single color .2 inches thick.

I can certainly see applications for this material as "oops rings" and the number of colors shown would be welcome in my shop.

Hope this helps,
Ed

BSea

The only thing about it is the skulls & other designs on the plastic. It may show as random white spots on the segment. But you should be able to cut around those, but you won't get as many segments.

Try a search on PVC sheet in amazon or google.

PenMan1

Edward.
I've used this exact material from this exact same vendor, many times. It works as well or better than the stuff you pay three times as much for and you get to customize your "pick guard sandwich" with the three colors that YOU like rather than just using the pre-made black/white/black, yellow/black/yellow or black/red/black sets that some places sell.

HERE WE GO AGAIN.....but I scuff the surfaces to be laminated together with a Scotch "scuff pad" and use Loctite 30 minute Epoxy for the lamination. I place wax paper on either OUTSIDE of the "sandwich", add a caul to both sides, and clamp overnight on a workbench vise. additionally, if you use the "slow set" epoxy and the cauls, you can add a small finish brad to the caul on each side of the pickguard sandwich (I make mine 1"x1"). This keeps the pieces in the exact location you want them to be in, without slip sliding around.

DAMHIKT......just TRUST ME on adding the wax paper to either side of the glue up:). And yes, the stuff I buy is just less than 1/4" thick, but with a jig and a belt sander you can easily make it any lesser thickness that you desire.

Last edited:

Edward Cypher

Thanks everyone

The only thing about it is the skulls & other designs on the plastic. It may show as random white spots on the segment. But you should be able to cut around those, but you won't get as many segments.

Try a search on PVC sheet in amazon or google.

They do make solid colors as well as the design ones also pearl ones. The solid are just primary colors but that is usually all you get if you buy pic guard. Unless it is special ordered and then it is very costly.

Edward.
I've used this exact material from this exact same vendor, many times. It works as well or better than the stuff you pay three times as much for and you get to customize your "pick guard sandwich" with the three colors that YOU like rather than just using the pre-made black/white/black, yellow/black/yellow or black/red/black sets that some places sell.

HERE WE GO AGAIN.....but I scuff the surfaces to be laminated together with a Scotch "scuff pad" and use Loctite 30 minute Epoxy for the lamination. I place wax paper on either OUTSIDE of the "sandwich", add a caul to both sides, and clamp overnight on a workbench vise. additionally, if you use the "slow set" epoxy and the cauls, you can add a small finish brad to the caul on each side of the pickguard sandwich (I make mine 1"x1"). This keeps the pieces in the exact location you want them to be in, without slip sliding around.

DAMHIKT......just TRUST ME on adding the wax paper to either side of the glue up:). And yes, the stuff I buy is just less than 1/4" thick, but with a jig and a belt sander you can easily make it any lesser thickness that you desire.

Thanks I think I will give it a try and thanks for the tips on putting it together. I paid a lot more for pic guard from one of the big woodturning stores and after turning away a large amount of it, I personally thought boy that is a waste. I am currently trying a lot of plastics to see what will hold up to the ca finish without melting or getting soft.

Kenny Durrant

Hi Edward. I buy my pick guard material from stewmac.com. It is a guitar supply co. and I get a solid sheet with the colors I want. The sizes I use the most I cut 3/4 squares with the correct size hole drilled in it and the others I drill the hole and use a bandsaw to cut out around it to help with waste.

Top Bottom