Hart Pen kit from Woodcraft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I turned a pen from Tulipwood and used the Hart Pen kit from Woodcraft yesterday. The tulipwood turned beautifully and I was very pleased with the results. However I did not like the Hart pen kit. It seemed as though several of the pieces did not fill correctly. I'm very disappointed in how the clip is attached. I can't get the cap screwed on tight enough and it loosens allowing the clip to spin around the pen making scratches. I guess a little CA on the top of the clip before the top is screwed in would help. I do like the looks of the Hart pen because it is a little fatter than the slimline but not as fat as a Cigar pen. Does anyone have some suggestions about the assembly of this pen that might make it easier for me?

Attachments

• Hart_Tulipwood_Gold.jpg
    Hart_Tulipwood_Gold.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 705
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The centerband was a problem (IMO). The black band was smaller than the two gold colored pieces, so it felt "wrong" in your hand.

Bear in mind this is an "opinion", so others are encouraged to have one, too!!

t001xa22

I have made several of the Hart kits, also known in other places as Elegant American. As was mentioned, I have had the best luck using Loctite to secure the finial/clip assembly. As Ed said, some folks will closely examine the fit around the centerband because they think the fit is off. The main drawback to me is that it is a double-twist transmission, and a lot of folks don't like that. They have stated that it feels a bit unnatural to twist both ways. As with others, just my opinion, too.

Miles42

I have done two of these kits with bad results on both. The fit is bad on one and the twist is bad on the other. Will pass one these until there is a better QC in the kit.

Thanks everyone for all the input. I guess the Hart pen will no longer be an option for me. There are so many other great kits that I can explore. Thanks again.

ToddMR

If you like the thicker than normal slimline, the Saturn pen kit over at woodturningz is a nice alternative. PSI carries a version of it too called the trimline I think it is. Anyhow I have made quite a few of them and I like them.

Top Bottom