Harbor Freight Dust Collector

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rounder

Has anyone bought the Harbor Freight dust collector? They had it on sale for $200 and was curious if it was any good. How noisy? Work well? Any issues? Thanks for all reply's.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have one and I'm quite happy with it. It works very well for the price. My shop is 15x25 with about 50' of 4" PVC duct and 4 drops. I wouldn't try to push it much beyond that.

I recommend a garbage can cyclone ahead of the DC (got that & works great) and replacing the bag with a 1 micron canister (still need to do that).

socdad

I purchased one several years ago. It works reasonably well for me however I have nothing to compare it to. The hose and fittings sold by HF aren't worth two dead flies , I replaced them from fittings & hose from Woodcraft. I replaced the filter bag with a 35A series filter from Wynn, that improved function considerably. I also added a 'dust seperator' from Rockler.
It is extreamly loud!

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Like Jeff said, it is fairly loud. Baffling, ear muffs or remote location would be a good idea. Mine is in another room, adjacent to my shop which helps a lot, but I still want to put baffling around it to reduce the noise even further.

I used cheap sch 20 sewer grade PVC for my ducting and ordered hoses & fittings from Amazon. I used the clear Powertec hoses & Powertec hose clamps - I used 4" hoses & if I needed to step down to 2" for some tools, I did that within a couple of feet of the tool.

I got my dust separator cap & tubes at Rockler and bought a metal garbage can at Home Depot. I also got my blast gates at Rockler - I just liked theirs better than any others.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Everything is relative! :biggrin:

I have been around NOISY DCs and had a smaller one that was VERY noisy when I lived overseas (Japan). I have the HF 2HP and it is not nearly as noisy as I was expecting. It is noisy but it won't bother the neighbors.

BTW, if you get a 20% coupon you can save $40.00 off of the $199. price.

hanau

I have had mine about 9 years still running great. I ended up replacing the power switch. I also use a remote switch to turn it on and off.

I have changed the top bag out for a Delta canister filter. I also put a 55 gallon trash bag in the bottom bag so all i have to do is removed the trash bag and dispose of it. Instead of taking and dumping the bottom felt bag out and dumping it somewhere.

Crayman

I have had mine about 8 years, Replaced the bags with a Wynn filter .5 micron on top and plastic bag on the bottom. I do not have a lot of space for an add'l cyclone canister so I put in a Thien baffle and it works great. It is only 3 feet from lathe so I always wear ear muff to reduce sound.

epigolucky

I have it in my garage as well. Works great, great pull. I use a debris separator in my setup. Only flexible hose until I can get a permanent location set up. I use noise cancelling headphones and listen to audiobooks or music when I work and have no issues. Don't forget the 20% off coupon!

Rounder

I went and bought it. On sell for $199.99 then 20% off made it $159.99 + tax. Once I get my shop (3-4 weeks for delivery I hope) I will put that "sucker" to work. Thanks again for the info.

jbg230

I just got done with a tricky install with my Harbor Freight dust collector. I'm running a combination of 5" 26 gauge duct and 5" flex duct. I did this in a very small workspace. My 5"wye just got delivered to Menards, but for now I've just been attaching the flex duct to each individual tool as I use them. ( This weekend that ends) I have the motor and the impeller secured near the ceiling to save space. I'm using a special Wynn filter and the Deputy Dust cyclone. The Thein baffle would also work very well. The install was taking a lot of time, so I nixed the "I'll make my own" idea and bought the cyclone.
The unit is now attached to my lathe with a dust hood and it is a pleasure. Works great even with my 25 feet of flex duct attached. (Once I attach the wye, the run will shorten)
BTW, it's the dust you don't see that's important to filter.
PM me if you want some links to some good videos about how to modify your unit. There's much more to it in order to be safe than what comes with the HF unit, but I think this unit is just fine for the light hobbyist pen turner/woodworker.

Last edited:
Top Bottom