Harbor Freight Dust Collector volume?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wtturner

Can anyone offer input on how loud the Harbor Freight dust collector is?
Say in comparison to a large shop vac?
Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I have both of them. They are definitely quieter than a shop vac, though the 2hp is considerably louder than the smaller one. It's a completely different pitch, more of a low humm compared to the scream of a shop vac. Shop vacs are made to have a lot of static suction, but dust collectors move a lot more air.

d_bondi

I have the 2 HP Harbor Freight duct collector. I am not using it as sold, but am using the motor, fan/impeller and housing in my built up dust collector (picture below). I have it paired with a Super Dust Deputy and a Wynn Environmental Merv 15 cannister filter. I do not know what impact those may have on the decibel level.

I just went out in the shop and took readings using an app on my iPhone.

Harbor Freight 2 HP Dust Collector: 78.0 dBA

Rigid 16 Gallon Shop Vac: 72.8 dBA

Both are from ~6 feet away.

Remember, when using a decibel scale, each additional 3 dBA is DOUBLE the volume. So the measurements would indicate that the Dust Collector is MUCH louder, almost 4 times louder.

Please note:
  1. The HF motor is slightly above ear level and below the mezzanine shelf which may make its reading a bit high.
  2. The shop vac is mounted high on a mezzanine shelf which may make its reading a bit low. Its has the exhaust muffler on it and is pointed away from the open shop.
As Todd noted above, the biggest difference is the pitch of the sound. The Shop Vac is a higher pitch that after time feels like someone grinding on your mastoid bone (behind and below your ear). The Dust Collector is a lower pitched rumbling like sound.

Short version... I much prefer the sound of the dust collector and it feels/sounds to me like it is quieter (even though the measurements show different).

I (try to) always wear ear protection, or use my AirPods Pro with the noise cancelling enabled when I am running either of them.

ADE59FBB-BF4B-414B-85D2-DAE47DE4E814_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

d_bondi

Huh, I do have both of these. I guess I'm just more sensitive to the pitch. No wonder my wife complains when I use the big collector.

I was surprised by the actual readings as well and agree, I too must be more sensitive to the higher pitch of the Shop Vac.

d_bondi

Adding a Wynn filter to my HF Dust collector (modified) dropped it down to the 68-70 db range.
That is great.
I suspect that the reason mine is so much louder is it's location in the corner and below the mezzanine/shelf which effectively horn loads it and increases its volume/dBA level.

MRDucks2

That is great.
I suspect that the reason mine is so much louder is it's location in the corner and below the mezzanine/shelf which effectively horn loads it and increases its volume/dBA level.
Mine is in a corner, too, thus the range as I moved around it. The drop was either 6 or 7 db.

wtturner

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to find an app and measure mine.
Lower frequency definitely sounds like a plus.
HF has a $100 off coupon right now, so tempting, but I'm also concerned with space.
Thanks again.

greenacres2

I have both an older HF 2hp DC and a 16 gal Ridgid vac. Don't know the db readings, but i find the pitch of the Ridgid vac to be more annoying. Hoping to add a dedicated "shop" to the garage in the spring, then i can pipe the DC through the wall for a wee bit more quiet. And heat & cooling, lighting, and space!!
earl

Pen Joe

Heck, deaf in one ear and the other is not the best, hearing aids come to the rescue but don't wear them in the shop or around machines, I have the HF one will post pic, its screwed to the wall and I have a clothes drier vent coming to the snorkel, you can see that I notched it and that get just about all the cut off, yes it loud but rather put up with that than a vacuum cleaner dust and chips everywhere, Joe

Attachments

• Blower on Wall.jpg
    Blower on Wall.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Harbor Freight Dust collector.jpg
    Harbor Freight Dust collector.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Suction and Blower.jpg
    Suction and Blower.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 36
  • suction at spindle.jpg
    suction at spindle.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 29

wtturner

I have the 2 HP Harbor Freight duct collector. I am not using it as sold, but am using the motor, fan/impeller and housing in my built up dust collector (picture below). I have it paired with a Super Dust Deputy and a Wynn Environmental Merv 15 cannister filter. I do not know what impact those may have on the decibel level.

I just went out in the shop and took readings using an app on my iPhone.

Harbor Freight 2 HP Dust Collector: 78.0 dBA

Rigid 16 Gallon Shop Vac: 72.8 dBA

Both are from ~6 feet away.

Remember, when using a decibel scale, each additional 3 dBA is DOUBLE the volume. So the measurements would indicate that the Dust Collector is MUCH louder, almost 4 times louder.

Please note:
  1. The HF motor is slightly above ear level and below the mezzanine shelf which may make its reading a bit high.
  2. The shop vac is mounted high on a mezzanine shelf which may make its reading a bit low. Its has the exhaust muffler on it and is pointed away from the open shop.
As Todd noted above, the biggest difference is the pitch of the sound. The Shop Vac is a higher pitch that after time feels like someone grinding on your mastoid bone (behind and below your ear). The Dust Collector is a lower pitched rumbling like sound.

Short version... I much prefer the sound of the dust collector and it feels/sounds to me like it is quieter (even though the measurements show different).

I (try to) always wear ear protection, or use my AirPods Pro with the noise cancelling enabled when I am running either of them.

View attachment 366917
I'm a little confused. I thought the HF system took care of separation. Are you using the vortex system just to reduce the volume filtered or other reason?

MRDucks2

I'm a little confused. I thought the HF system took care of separation. Are you using the vortex system just to reduce the volume filtered or other reason?
I added a Thien Baffle (self made) on a Brut Trash can to mine. It collected fine, but this allows me to empty the can without having to empty the bag. I also replaced the OEM fan wheel with a larger diameter Rikon fan wheel that has a different blade pitch and reduced the length of tubing between the blower and bag housing to move more CFM (this helps offset a loss of CFM from adding the trash can baffle). Final mod was to replace the exhaust bag a Wynn pleated filter. This decreases the exhaust resistance, increases level of filtration and decreased noise level.

None of this was necessary for it to work. But I had fun and ended up with a much higher performing system for a few hundred dollars less than buying one already built that way.

d_bondi

The HF system will take care of separation, at least at some level, but I believe that the Super Dust Deputy does a better job.

Another issue, at least for me, is that the HF design has the separator between the fabric bag "filter" (I use that term VERY loosely) and the clear plastic collection bag. Because of the space I wanted to use it in my shop, I wanted a different configuration. I also knew that I was absolutely not going to rely on the HF 5 micron bag "filter". The really bad stuff for you us smaller than that. I didn't want 2 HP dust circulator in my shop so I built swapped in the Super Dust Deputy and the Merv 15 Wynn Environmental (filters down to 0.3 microns).

Also my design, similar to Mike's (MRDucks2) allows me to simply empty the 30 gallon drum/barrel and not mess with the bags.

If you have space for the HF as designed, you can get the Wynn filter kit is designed to sit/mount on top of the separator section in place of the fabric bag "filter". Here is a link to it.

d_bondi

I added a Thien Baffle (self made) on a Brut Trash can to mine. It collected fine, but this allows me to empty the can without having to empty the bag. I also replaced the OEM fan wheel with a larger diameter Rikon fan wheel that has a different blade pitch and reduced the length of tubing between the blower and bag housing to move more CFM (this helps offset a loss of CFM from adding the trash can baffle). Final mod was to replace the exhaust bag a Wynn pleated filter. This decreases the exhaust resistance, increases level of filtration and decreased noise level.

None of this was necessary for it to work. But I had fun and ended up with a much higher performing system for a few hundred dollars less than buying one already built that way.
Mike, how difficult was changing the fan? Was it worth the effort and cost? Do you happen to have a source and/or part number for the one. you installed?

greenacres2

Another homemade Thein Baffle here. Haven't had the plastic bag off in 8 or so years (make that 11 based on the dates the pics were taken!!), but have emptied the barrel a gazillion times. Allowed me to mount the DC high, just reach up with a long broom handle to knock a little dust off the filter bag on occasion.
earl

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 29
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 27

MRDucks2

Mike, how difficult was changing the fan? Was it worth the effort and cost? Do you happen to have a source and/or part number for the one. you installed?
Here is the thread on the first upgrade. In one of the replies I have impeller part and such. Yes, it was worth the effort. Having worked with industrial blowers before, the Rikon "correct" blade pitch brings as much or more advantage as the extra inch of diameter. You will see that I mean in that thread.

d_bondi

Here is the thread on the first upgrade. In one of the replies I have impeller part and such. Yes, it was worth the effort. Having worked with industrial blowers before, the Rikon "correct" blade pitch brings as much or more advantage as the extra inch of diameter. You will see that I mean in that thread.
Mike, sorry, did you mean to link the thread? I don't see a link.

d_bondi

Yes, here you go.
HF Impeller Upgrade

If you use the search function with the word "dust" and by MRDucks2 you will find info on the other mods, too.

Thanks Mike, I just ordered the Rikon impeller. It was in stock and $120 (+$25 S&H), not too bad.

Love the discussion in that old thread regarding forward-inclined vs backward-inclined impellers. I worked in the HVAC industry for 35 years so I am familiar with the differences. Funny how the backward-inclined impeller design always throws folks for a loop. I found a YouTube video (I'm sure there are many) and the comments are full of banter back and forth about the new impeller being backward.

How did you remove the old impeller? Did you have to use a 3-jaw puller?

MRDucks2

I don't recall how I ended up getting it off. I do recall my first attempt broke a piece of the small recess that I thought I could latch on to and pull.

greenacres2

Posting here just to subscribe. We MIGHT be able to add a heated extension to the garage this year--if it happens, i want to keep the HF dust collector in the garage and pipe through the insulated wall. Any increase in volume might be helpful. Looking forward to following your experience @d_bondi .
earl

greenacres2

Did a quick search for something to read while eating my oatmeal...saw some postings on using the Wen 3403-022 impeller instead of the Rikon. The "-022" caught my eye--and it's said that the Wen and Rikon impellers are identical (the blade configuration is for sure). So...i ordered a Wen version for $50 (with free ground shipping). Looks to be in stock, so should have it in a week. WIll be a while after that before i try to install, but with the possibility of being 1/3 the cost i wanted to get that option posted.

d_bondi

Did a quick search for something to read while eating my oatmeal...saw some postings on using the Wen 3403-022 impeller instead of the Rikon. The "-022" caught my eye--and it's said that the Wen and Rikon impellers are identical (the blade configuration is for sure). So...i ordered a Wen version for $50 (with free ground shipping). Looks to be in stock, so should have it in a week. WIll be a while after that before i try to install, but with the possibility of being 1/3 the cost i wanted to get that option posted.
That is interesting Earl. Last night I stumbled on a video of someone using the WEN impeller as well. When I looked it up (followed the link) I saw that it was $50 and thought... Groan... but I already ordered the Rikon (yesterday). Maybe I can cancel my order...

greenacres2

Yeah, i felt for you as i was posting!! Been there myself. On the plus side, it sounds like the Wen might be a closer fit on the depth, so you may have an easier time than me later!!
earl

d_bondi

Yeah, i felt for you as i was posting!! Been there myself. On the plus side, it sounds like the Wen might be a closer fit on the depth, so you may have an easier time than me later!!
earl

I emailed their parts department and 2 hours later received a paid invoice with a FedEx Ground tracking ID. šŸ¤£ Why does my cynical nature make me think that if I hadn't emailed, it might not have shipped until tomorrow or Wednesday. Oh well, I was fine with my purchase when I made it. Glad you posted for others though. Should be interesting seeing how this goes for each of us.

I'll be sure to post how the change out went. I hope to be able to do the swap without pulling the motor/housing assembly off the wall.

Top Bottom